Walleye Trolling

alvinals5

Seaman Apprentice
Is their something I can use besides budgie cords on steering wheel to control my 22ft Sunrunner while trolling for Walleye with only guys onboard Not considering auto pilot save a buck if I can

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
If your trolling with the wind you shouldn't need anything,.....

Just keep an eye on things and make corrections when needed,....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha that sounds like my first vehicle cruse control. A brick on the gas pedal and a rope tying the steering wheel and take a nap...works for me! :facepalm:

Maybe its time for a computer controlled trolling setup. Then you program it and sit back and watch for fish on situations...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I generally used my right hand with a beer in the left hand, however that is me. My buddy Bob uses his left hand with the beer in his right. however someone is always at the helm.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Ha that sounds like my first vehicle cruse control. A brick on the gas pedal and a rope tying the steering wheel and take a nap...works for me! :facepalm:

Maybe its time for a computer controlled trolling setup. Then you program it and sit back and watch for fish on situations...

The Motorguide xi5 can be programed to follow way points on a Lowrance gps to do just that,...

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
If your trolling with the wind you shouldn't need anything,.....

Just keep an eye on things and make corrections when needed,....

Yes that is true...there is something magical about catching walley's and drifting with the wind.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Not sure of what type of steering system you have but I installed hydraulic steering on my boat. When you stop turning the wheel my outdrive stays put. I troll the Great Lakes for salmon and Saginaw Bay for walleye and love it. I can head it straight and take my hands off the wheel and she stays straight......unless of course the seas or wind pushes it offline but the outdrive stays locked where I left it.

64osby

Admiral
^^^ My NFB steering also does that. Now I just have to learn how to catch fish while trolling. It is really hard to troll on trout streams.