Chippewa Flowage fishing

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone ever fish there? It's in Hayward,Wisconsin. Looking for tips on what to use for Bass and Walleye. I usually fish upper Michigan and the waters very clear. Wisconsin is usually more brackish. Any recommendations are appreciated

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Anyone ever fish there? It's in Hayward,Wisconsin. Looking for tips on what to use for Bass and Walleye. I usually fish upper Michigan and the waters very clear. Wisconsin is usually more brackish. Any recommendations are appreciated

Absolutely have never even fished close to that area, but bass fishing is similar no matter where you fish for them. And usually brackish or darken water means the bass fishing will take on one of two possibilities. That is using a motor oil or black, black-grape colored jelly type worms or something in that color line, OR going to very bright and flashy presentations to get their attention. Then that would bring out the yellows, whites, silvers, golds and chartreuse colored flash baits. Of course this is just my opinion and I'm absolutely sure others will chime in with their opinions as well...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I've fished it, but mainly for muskies. I have caught a couple walleyes using crank baits, Rapala Husky Jerk, I believe. I was going for anything that bites.The west side of the lake is clearer than the east side. The east side is stained pretty good. I've spent most of my time on the west side just trying to learn that side to be able to navigate. I recommend a GPS to find your way back to the launch. County rd CC separates the lake. There's a channel at Herman's landing that takes you under CC to go from one side to the other. I just started going on the east side a couple years ago(I didn't get on it at all last year) and haven't hardly covered that side.

Just remember there is no motor trolling on the Flowage. Get a good map. I think mine is Hotspots. I guess I would fish the east side. That seems to be the more popular end.

Sorry I don't have more information. I must say I love that lake. A lot that I've seen reminds me of Canada, minus the rock..... There isn't cabins on every inch of it... You do get the feeling of seclusion....

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was outfished by my nephew last time in Hayward so I may not be of much help.

Most of the time using either minnows or crawlers on a 3-hook walleye rig. Have had good success in the spring with black/silver Rapala's on an ultralite with 4# casting (if you are not trolling). Trolling was hit or miss my last time on the flowage.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I was outfished by my nephew last time in Hayward so I may not be of much help.

Most of the time using either minnows or crawlers on a 3-hook walleye rig. Have had good success in the spring with black/silver Rapala's on an ultralite with 4# casting (if you are not trolling). Trolling was hit or miss my last time on the flowage.

How long ago was that when you were last on? I pretty sure trolling is illegal, at least the last few years that I've fished it...........

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Using a trolling motor is illegal? That's odd. I just picked up a Humminbird Helix so I'm curious to see the structure it picks up.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How long ago was that when you were last on? I pretty sure trolling is illegal, at least the last few years that I've fished it...........

Dad and I were last on the flowage in about 2005. however we were using wind and the electric trolling motor.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Wind is fine, but any motor is not. I don't think a guy could use a electric trolling motor. Not even a sail. At least that's the way I read it. I believe you can use a motor if you're casting and retrieving.....

See the bottom of page 19.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/docu...eb.pdf#page=28

Starting on page 28 they list counties. Some counties are open to motor trolling on any lake, some just certain lakes. Sawyer county, where the flowage is, sez nothing about trolling and nothing about the flowage. Lakes that are open to trolling say so, ones that say nothing are closed to trolling.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. You need a PHD to understand regs it seems. Just don't want to see anyone get busted.....

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Motor trolling on the Chippewa Flowage is ILLEGAL,..............

Motor trolling is considered having lines trailing behind a power driven boat, Wind power is also ILLEGAL as far as trolling in Wisconsin is allowed,....

Using electric trolling motor to position fish is allowed, Meaning you have to be in the act of casting and retrieving your bait.

Row trolling should be legal if you want to add oar-locks and oars,................

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh ok I'm all good than. I'm planning on casting towards structure etc.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Watch out for floating bogs too. Some of the smaller ones can be tough to see if there is some wave action out there. They may be in one spot today and move to another spot tomorrow.... I still believe your best chance for action is on the east end. Seems to be a little more structure and the water is stained. I wouldn't cal it a rocky lake by any means like in N Mn. There's some rock here and there and wood too. Lots of sand around the islands.... Have fun and good luck......

bassman284

Commander
I have been following the trolling saga in Wisconsin because several friends and I make an annual pilgrimage to Turtle Flambeau Flowage in late August or early September since about 1996. Motor trolling and wind trolling using a sail has been illegal there throughout that time period. In fact, it's been illegal in a number of counties including Iron (TF) and Chippewa (CF). Last year the legislature attempted to make trolling legal statewide but ended up putting it to a statewide vote. 17 counties, including Iron and Chippewa voted it down. However, it was decided at some level to allow trolling in those 17 counties with one line per fisherman and a maximum of 2 lines per boat for 3 years starting in 2015.

That's supposed to be the rule on opening day this year but the last I read is that it could still be vetoed. This is very important to me personally because I really hate to troll while my best buddy and boating partner CRAVES to troll.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
There are several lakes in Hayward where motor trolling is LEGAL.

Grindstone
Couteray
Namekagon
Big Round-maybe can't recall
Nelson-also can't recall for sure

WIMUSKY

Staff member
There are several lakes in Hayward where motor trolling is LEGAL.

Grindstone
Couteray
Namekagon
Big Round-maybe can't recall
Nelson-also can't recall for sure

Nelson - yes
Round - yes

Bayfield County is open to trolling too.......

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Sure wasn't this musky guy. I like to troll. Heck, I grew up trolling for walleyes, hour after hour....... I suppose they don't want us trolling anymore because we might catch a fish. Can't have that.......:rolleyes:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Don't know why but when I read/hear trolling I immediately think of pulling planer boards even though I do a bit of flat line trolling. In this case I think they are trying to keep the guys pulling 4 to 6 planer boards off the lakes. Which is why it states 2 lines.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Don't know why but when I read/hear trolling I immediately think of pulling planer boards even though I do a bit of flat line trolling. In this case I think they are trying to keep the guys pulling 4 to 6 planer boards off the lakes. Which is why it states 2 lines.

Some waters in WI allow 3 lines per person,........

They are changing the laws to open up motor trolling on some lakes,...

In the good ole days wardens would write a ticket if any fishing line was in the water while any motor was running or used,........

That made position fishing difficult,......