Trolling speeds for different types of fish

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Anybody know the common trolling speeds for fish like muskie, trout, salmon, etc.? thx.

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Trolling speeds for different types of fish

:) I like trolling at 1-1/2kts. for stripers;<br />3kts. for giant blue fin tuna; 4-5kts. for bluefish; 2-4 kts. for mackeral or just drifting.<br /><br />For fresh water:<br />1-2kts. for either trout or land lock salmon

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i troll the great lakes for salmon and lake trout all summer.. lake trout seem to like 1.5 to 2... and salmon like it a little faster at 2.5 to 3... this has always worked well for us...good luck

gonfishn

Commander

It really depends on water temps. In early spring When the water temps are say in the fortys I troll for the gator at 2 to 2.5...after water temps reach the fiftys I increase to 3 to 3.5...After temps reach the sixtys I will increase to 4 up to 6 mph..<br /><br />I would think this rule of thumb would go well with most fins. This is what I do when on the hunt for the Warrior. When the water is cold they move at a slower pace and are not apt to go for a lure moving at a greater speed then what they are ready for..<br /><br />It also goes with choice of lure when you are fishing..Instead of throwing the huge lumber at the gator in the spring I use a lure that is approximate size of bait fish that are around..As they increase in size so does the type of weapons I will troll with.<br /><br />If flathead sees this I hope you are getting my emails. Have been sending you some ideas on how to fish your area...