Any Muskie fishers out there !!!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Any Muskie fishers out there !!!

Dont forget about the St. Lawrence River, NYS :rolleyes: world record caught there, I think

There was quite a bit of controversy over that a few years ago. Mi (or WI, I forget) claimed the world record as well. Then, when records were checked NY lost the bid due to some supposed impropriety. Anywhoot, the StL is still THE place to go.

Upper Niagara was always second best, but in recent years I have had trouble due to the high amount of floating "moss" during the late season. Just too much reeling back in to clean the lure - makes for too much "work"....LOL.

We fished for years and only caught a couple each year. Then we switched lures and after that caught 2 each time out! Google "Radke Pike Minnow". He used to tour the sportsman show circuit. A few local shops carried them, but not any more. I buy direct from Mr. Radke. The double jointed perch color works wonders for us.

Here's an upper Niagara catch from the "Tonawanda Channel", right under the power lines, in 19' of water. 3 colors out at 1.9 mph.

JeffFish.JPG

woodwacker

Recruit

Lake st clair Bellriver area huge musky some of the best in ontario

I have fished lsc for 5 decades. its world class troll/cast.
most guys run baits hi and troll 6 inch wooden baits with planer boards. try georgies or the dis-continued woodies.
9 dollar bass or perch will always hook you up.. if your on can shores s/west wind is best. july is on fire for numbers.

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep Just got back into it full force last fall. Cant wait to get the boat wet this year!

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did some trolling and casting for skies yesterday. No luck but it was good to be back out!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Nice! So that's what soft water looks like...... :)

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Haha yes but Id really like to see fish. These IL muskie are tough to find, you guys have it good up there!

saumon

Lieutenant

Open water here but muskies opener is on mid-june :blue:

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

We dont have closed season in IL, so as soon as the ice is gone we go fishing.

mutey78

Cadet
i have been trying to fish for muskie for the last 3 or 4 years and have yet to get one hooked.. i am fishing the susquehanna river in northeast PA. loaded with ski.. see alot of guys catching them, i just do not have the luck. still trying though

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Nice AC! Maybe I should start my boat one of these days.....

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks WIMUSKY,
You absolutely should break out the boat!
My buddy put a pretty little one in my boat yesterday. I lost one in the 8 and had a nice rip but never got any hooks in it.

phillipgo

Seaman Apprentice
I try to go up to the St. Lawrence the beginning of Oct. every year. Last year it was so windy I only got out one day.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Nice northern, Mike. Muskies younger brother....... :)

roffey

Commander
OK I am going to ask a stupid question. Up here in Ontario, Canada we call walleye pickerel. I thought that pike and muskies were the same fish as well?

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jeez, nobody mentioned GBay. My musky hole coughed up a 50incher for me, a 57 for a buddy, another 54 and a whack of chunky 40+ inchers. All in the past few years. There are supertankers to be had in that body of water but it is a lot if water to cover. I am hoping to hit LOTW next summer with a bunch of buddies to fish for skis, walleye, pike and some smallies for fun. Pulled a 44 out of Pigeon Lake in the Kawarthas a month ago. Dying to go wash some lures again but time is just not there.