Any Muskie fishers out there !!!

Looking to talk ski Canadian fishing but soon looking to travel lake St Clare lake of the woods anyone fish the US or Canadian sides I think Green Bay has lots of big ski also

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Any Muskie fishers out there !!!

Oh man I use to have a serious addiction to muskie fishing. I actually tried to plan when we started having kids around the season.

Unfortunately now my boys are 3 and 6 and last season was the first year I never got out muskie fishing. Once they get older I'll get back into it.Brian 43x18.jpg

It's funny you say that because I told my soon to be wife the same thing for when we have kids lol

This is going to be my 3rd season of serious Muskie fishing and I'm hooked no Pun intended

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

The upper and lower Niagara river holds some huge musky as well as the shores of lake Erie. Best was 3 in on afternoon before a thunderstorm.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My Son and I (and some times his son, too) have fished LOTW, NWAngle, for about 20 years. On the Ontario side is the best fishing hole on the planet.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer

Lake st clair Bellriver area huge musky some of the best in ontario

WIMUSKY

Staff member

My Son and I (and some times his son, too) have fished LOTW, NWAngle, for about 20 years. On the Ontario side is the best fishing hole on the planet.

Yep..........:fish2:

Eagle Lake by Dryden too........

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Dont forget about the St. Lawrence River, NYS :rolleyes: world record caught there, I think

saumon

Lieutenant

For a Toronto guy, there's no need to go that far, there's plenty in the Kawartha lakes, but I agree that the bigger are in the St. Lawrence system...

Here's a few caught around here...muskies album

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Can't see your pix, saumon, they want a login........

saumon

Lieutenant

Sorry...I fix it (I'm new to the Google albums).

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Nice fish! Thanks for sharing.....

saumon

Lieutenant

Thank you. We're blessed to have a great fishery there. Like in LSC, they were almost all caught trolling.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Some of the better musky lakes around here they don't allow trolling, not even for walleyes. I guess they don't want anyone to catch fish... I just got into trolling for skies in the last couple years....

saumon

Lieutenant

Yep, proper trolling is easily as hard as casting, and it's far from simply dragging a lure behind. During the summer (June to August), we have good succes with shallow (3-8ft of water), high speed (4-5mph), short line (10 to 30ft) trolling in weedy/rocky areas, but that mean the driver have to constantly monitor the sonar and gps and react fast to avoid hitting the bottom, which came fast at that speed, and the buddy in the back must be continuously cleaning the lures. In fact, when we're tired, we usually do some casting to take a break!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Yep, a GPS is a must to follow the contours. In the brief time I've been trolling I've been in around 20' of water at 3mph. I even use planer boards. Something completely out of the box from how we normally fish....

So far, this has been my go to lure, Giant Flatstick. it will blind you in the sun......

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

On the topic of contour/weed trolling, lowrance structure scan is great for this, shoots out to the side of the boat and will tell you how far away you are (how far away the transom is anyway). Plus you can identify weed beds and structure as you go and mark a waypoint to come back later and cast.

Some of the better musky lakes around here they don't allow trolling

....don't allow motor trolling. Row trolling :) I've never tried it but would love to join that club of having caught one.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe row trolling is legal everywhere in WI.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Row trolling is legal. My grandfather used to row troll for northerns all the time. He use to catch big ones, seen pics....... I figure I got the northern/musky bug from him....:)

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

They used to stock some Tigers around here but they quit because our Crappie kept killing and eating them.:hungry::rip:

Last edited: