Need a good matching rod for Shimano Spirex RG 2500 reel

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm a little out of touch with big water freshwater fishing. Last rod and reel I bought was a Mitchell 300 with Abu-Garcia rod. I have been trout fishing for the last 30 yrs. and want to get back to big water. I really want a Shimano Spirex RG 2500 reel but don't know what brand rod would match up with it. I was thinking St. Croix rods 6'6" medium, fast but I don't know. Any suggestions?

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need a good matching rod for Shimano Spirex RG 2500 reel

I have a few St Croix rods and really love them. Looks at the Premier and Mojo rods. Nothing but great reviews on them.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The size, weight and action of the rod depend on what technique(s) you plan to use and the size of your target species.

This may sound strange coming from a custom rod builder, but the best bang for your buck is a Bass Pro Shop Extreme rod. I repair a fair number of Extreme rods and quite a few St. Croix rods and you would be hard pressed to justify the cost difference from a component / construction standpoint. The feel and action are a bit different but the average fisherman couldn't tell the difference in a blind fold test.

Last edited:

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input. Perhaps just overthinking it alot. My golf clubs are custom fit and I used to buy them off the rack. I just thought that maybe graphite rods had progressed to the point of matching to the reels. I really like the Shimano reels and I guess if I don't like the St. Croix rod I'll give it to the wife.

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rods reels and baits all need to be matched up for the fishing you want to do. How many oz lures are you looking to throw? Will you be trolling or casting?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I too would suggest the Bass Pro Shops rods. I own 4 of them along with many other brands.
1 Pro Qualifier, 2 Extremes and 1 Crankin Stik. Also a couple Shimano, about 5 Berkley amd a couple of Quantums.

I have at times taken any number of these rods and have swaped out the reels on them depending on what kind of water I'm fishing. Being clear open water, heavy cover or dark rivers. I do that because of the type and test line that is on the reels. Some of the reels have mono, some have superlines and a couple have braids. It's just easier for me that way than to keep a box full of spare spools for each reel.

With that 1 reel and a couple of spare spools you could easily match that up with 3 different weight/length rods and all would work well.