Hey flyfishing Guys, casting question

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Recently I reintroduced myself to the fine art. I bought a nice 8 weight 10 ft. I live in the Great lakes region of Ontario Can. and we get some pretty big trout and pike. I figured I'd load it with a weight forward 8 floating line. For pike I use a 20lb. fluorocarbon leader 7.5 ft. I can't seem to cast more than 20-30 ft. My last rod was a 9 weight and I could cast an easy 50FT. I don't think my pike flies are too heavy because I use bunny leaches and streamers also. Any ideas. Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hey flyfishing Guys, casting question

When fly-fishing you are throwing the line and not any fly, lure or anything else. I used to use level weight and had zero issues casting it anywhere. Maybe the weight forward line is not working on your rod setup. There should be a line suggestion labeled somewhere on your rod. I'd go with that size in level weight and try it. Also a 20 lb leader is huge. Maybe try a tapered leader in a little smaller size since the rod will fight the fish and not the line... JMHO!

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hey flyfishing Guys, casting question

Well them pike have nasty teeth, I've lost a few in the past and all the fellows I talked to said 20 lb. was good? I think that maybe your right, I'll try a 7 weight double taper floating. Or maybe 9 weight on the rod. OH $$$$$ thanks Mars (Marinus) LOL