Lake Raystown in PA

Musky88

Cadet
I've been thinking about heading down to Raystown with my boat to do some fishing. I'm located about 30 miles from the lake. The boat I have is a 16 ft sea nymph with a 25 hp Mercury.

A question I have is this boat big enough to handle that lake or will it be too obnoxious and or dangerous? I've only had this boat on glendale lake where the wake is controlled with the horsepower cap.

Also, where are some decent areas to launch and fish? I would be heading in from the Tipton area (through Tyrone and then water street)

Thanks in advance to any and all replies.

dwco5051

Commander
Re: Lake Raystown in PA

Weekends can be a little hectic on the lower 2/3rds of the lake. If you happen to go on a weekend I would suggest one of the launches on the upper end. I haven't been over there on a weekend in years but the times I have been there during the week it isn't to bad.

I am sure Aspeck will give you some better advise as that is his home water.

Musky88

Cadet

Weekends can be a little hectic on the lower 2/3rds of the lake. If you happen to go on a weekend I would suggest one of the launches on the upper end. I haven't been over there on a weekend in years but the times I have been there during the week it isn't to bad.

I am sure Aspeck will give you some better advise as that is his home water.

paging my aspeck....ha ha

Hasn't chimed in on this post and I was hoping he would have by now.

:blue:

aspeck

Staff member

Sorry ... Been hectic around here and not able to post as much as I have wanted ... Big week of Fire Convention coming up next week!

Okay, to your question, your boat is plenty big for Raystown. Lot's of good places for you to fish ... What do you want to catch, and when are you coming. How long is your stay ... 1 day, over night, a week? Night fishing, early morning? Day? If it is musky you want, fish from 9 or10 am to 3 or 4 PM, troll the mud flats in about 20-30 feet of water. Your boat is perfect for that.

Coming from your direction, you will be the lower 1/2 of the lake. Either Snyder's Run or Seven Points will be the easiest launch for that. There are no launch fees at the lake, unless you launch from either Marina. Good luck and let me know when you are coming.

Whitey1974

Cadet

Every time I go to Raystown I swear it will be the last time. Unfortunately for me I am only able to go on the weekends when it's usually pretty busy. I hear that during the week it's not too bad. The last time I went was over Father's Day weekend. I have a 16' Alumacraft with a 9.9. There were more than a few inconsiderate boaters on the lake. Guys in much larger boats that didn't mind passing me within about 20' even though there was plenty of open water. I tried to hug the shoreline as much as possible but it didn't help. A friend of mine fishes there quite a bit and says during the week or in the spring or fall are the best times to go. It'll be awhile before I go back. Good luck and stay safe.