Non bass boat in bass tournament?

younggun

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm 17 years old and love bass fishing. All I usually fish for at the lake is bass. I want to start fishing some of the tournaments on Thursday nights but I have a old 14 ft fiberglass side console skiff with a 40 merc and not a bass boat. I don't want to get laughed at but I want to atleast try the tournaments. What should I do?

matt167

Captain
Re: Non bass boat in bass tournament?

Put more money into your fishing equipment than the boat and beat them at their game... I haven't fished a tournament or derby in years but the biggest fish often come out of the livewells of the most broken down boats there is.

younggun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont have a lot of money to invest but I keep a notebook of what the fish are doing at different water and air temp and weather conditions and I have been doin that since last year so I try to have myself prepared. Thanks for the encouragement!

Put more money into your fishing equipment than the boat and beat them at their game... I haven't fished a tournament or derby in years but the biggest fish often come out of the livewells of the most broken down boats there is.

He's right. It's not the boat that brings the fish in, it only gets you to where they are. It's your equipment, ability, and knowledge of fishing that counts. Put your money and efforts in those and you'll do well in any boat.

Papa :fish2:

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

Who cares what the glitter boat guys think, the only advantage they have is a faster top speed and a lighter wallet than you. you are only 17 and you gotta start somewhere! imagine how proud you will be if you do end up pulling a nice stringer of fish on your little boat.

most of the bass fishing ive done in my life has been either from the bank, a fishing kayak, or a jon boat. the point it is to have fun, remember that!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Ditto what everyone else said,....

The most important thing is too have fun,.....

I say go for it!!

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Run what ya brung, the Bass don't care what boat youre in. Good luck!

foodfisher

Captain

Keep up your notes and win the tournaments. A pretty boat just may be a prize in one of them.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I'm 17 years old and love bass fishing. All I usually fish for at the lake is bass. I want to start fishing some of the tournaments on Thursday nights but I have a old 14 ft fiberglass side console skiff with a 40 merc and not a bass boat. I don't want to get laughed at but I want to atleast try the tournaments. What should I do?

First of all, don't make comparisons to what others have and you don't. That?s a defeatist attitude and you certainly don?t want that. You have one thing going for you that the big Bass Boats don?t, you will pay more attention to what is going on around you AND the fish then those that can simply crank ?r up and run the lake looking? I know I?ve been in your same spot. But it made me a better fisherman then simply running the lake in a high powered fancy boat. You know you can?t cover as much territory as those big fast rigs so you concentrate on more fishing and less running. And that is what makes a huge difference. You would be amazed at how many of those guys ruin chances because they could crank and run fast instead of trying alternate tackle and persistence in fishing areas more intense. Use your knowledge and FISH instead of cruise?

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Go fishing.

You don't need to be this guy to beat 'em at the weigh in. :facepalm:

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Speed of the bait catches fish, not speed of the boat.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Save your entry fees and fish for fun instead.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

I think you would do fine in the local Thursday tournament but before you decide to turn pro I would make sure that you want to stand in a boat and cast lures for 8 hours in all kinds of weather. My old back only lasts about two hours anymore. The only advantage I could see in having a fast bass boat would be if you were fishing a long body of water after a lot of rain where it would be important to reach the upper lake or river to find clearer water to fish. I personally don't like tournaments on lakes where I fish because they encourage so called fishermen to go around the shore lines and beat the banks with lures to a point where I think fish lose the urge to react like they used to. I think fishing should be just for fun and not competition. A lot of little things still amaze me when I'm fishing and when they stop amazing me I will stop fishing.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Nothing wrong with competitive fishing,...............

I haven't fished bass tournaments, I have fished in the walleye world, FLW,PWT,MWC,MWS,........

It was only a hobby for me but it is a great time,........

Some of my closest friends have come out of the competitive fishing world,............

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

A friend of mine won a bass boat at a tournament the river flooded the campground,so he stood on a picknic table,cast a bait,and caught the biggest bass of the weekend!
Go fish with what ya have,and have fun.
Grub

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class

At 17 you have your entire life ahead of you. Here's my advice. Do what makes you happy. The biggest fish I've ever caught in my life was out of an inflatable raft with a trolling motor powering it. I've caught alot of really nice sized bass out of an aluminum jon also powered by a trolling motor. Having said that I've owed a bass boat and now a fish and ski. I do like going fast and being on the boat. Don't think I would want to give that up, but all these people giving your advice have your best interests at heart. It's not the boat, it's the fish that wins the prize. You're keeping a record of temps, activity and such, that's good, you're doing your homework, that's what helps make you a better fisherman. Just because people spend thousands of dollars on a boat, doesn't mean they're gonna catch fish. They also spend thousands on repairs. Keep going at your pace, invest in good equipment, enter your tournaments, never know, you may win a boat at one on them.

projectcop

Seaman Apprentice

I do believe a well known angler once won a tournament and did not even use a boat at all; he was wading.........................

faticx

Cadet

Do it anyway man. i say your already a bigger man then then the rest. Also most people i meet fishin are pretty cool. Im 25 with a proud little 14 jon boat and catch just as much as the rest. oh yea dont have regets. good luck

littlerayray

Lieutenant

yeah bud i fish out of my tahoe havent entered any tournys yet but me and my buddy's have a lot of fun

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know I have a 89 bayliner capri and the fish do not like my boat so i get no fish LOL . I would love to see some one go out in a inflateable with 2x4's for paddles and bring back 5 pounders..