osprey

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
we got 14 nice bluegill,he got 1 bass,,,,,it was gut hooked and did not make it but did make a meal( no hook)bird 002.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: osprey

Ospreys are one of my favorite raptors. Really an eagle, rather than a hawk. I could spend an entire day just watching Ospreys and Bald Eagles fish

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ospreys are one of my favorite raptors. Really an eagle, rather than a hawk. I could spend an entire day just watching Ospreys and Bald Eagles fish

Irks me when they do better than me.

I spent a day fishing with my brother on electric motor only lake. We weren't getting a bite, nibble, or tease. Low and behold a Osprey was flying overhead dives down to about 30 feet away from our boat and picks up, what looked to be, a pretty good sized trout. I shook my fist at it and cussed under my breath. Needless to say, my brother and I returned to the launch and called it a day.

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Quick story-
Step brothers house was 100' of the main road, one morning he wakes up to find fish and its guts smashed all over the side of his house, big mess.
He thought kids had thrown the fish against his house as a joke until a week later he noticed an osprey that was nesting behind his house was hauling home a big old sucker in its talons, still squirming!!
2 seconds later it dropped it, fish dropped like a bomb and hit the road in front of his house, just missing a passing car, now that was a mess!

foodfisher

Captain

Awesome birds. I like to surf fish on my local beach. While fishing one day, an osprey came cruising by, heading south along the tide line. I watched him/her until it went out of sight. I was contently catching the usual 8-10" surf perch until the bird came back carrying what had to be a 20-22" corbina. I could swear it shreeked a laugh at me as it went past.