Hooked in the mouth

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
My wife likes to catch fish but we don't eat them very often. After some of them swallowed the hook we tried to find a hook that they won't swallow. I tried the circle type hooks and long shank hooks but by the time we used the ones that were small enough for pan fish, they swallowed a few. Then we started using the tru turn hooks and nearly all of the fish we have caught are hooked in the mouth. The last time out I got some crappie minnows and cast one line out with a tru turn hook and split shot and slip bobber then I cast lures and removed the wife's bluegills. The next thing I know the bobber is swimming around under the water so I caught three bass and one yellow perch, all hooked in the mouth, out of the same spot in about twenty minutes. The next time we go out I'm going to try some bigger minnows to see if I can catch some bigger fish. I just thought I would pass this along for folks that don't like trying to get the hook out when they swallow it. It took us a while to learn.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hooked in the mouth

In my experience a gut hooked fish is dead unless you sacrifice the hook and cut it off. I read and hear that the fish's system will dissolve the hook if just left in there, and the fish will survive..

Interesting testimonial for tru turn hooks.

Expidia

Commander

Good info. I'll give them a try. I too, hate to injure a fish. I take a picture of the decent ones and toss um back!

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

I thought I would say that I am not trying to advertise for Tru Turn, I have no interest in the company. As a matter of fact they have made some money off of me lately, $2.65 a pack Xs several packs. The way I found out about these hooks is from a crappie guide that we hired a few weeks ago and that is how his rods were rigged. The hook up ratio seems to be really good with them too. Like I said I was laying the rod down and casting lures and when I turned around and the bobber was swimming around under water, I just picked it up and started reeling and fighting the fish.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I thought I would say that I am not trying to advertise for Tru Turn, I have no interest in the company. As a matter of fact they have made some money off of me lately, $2.65 a pack Xs several packs. The way I found out about these hooks is from a crappie guide that we hired a few weeks ago and that is how his rods were rigged. The hook up ratio seems to be really good with them too. Like I said I was laying the rod down and casting lures and when I turned around and the bobber was swimming around under water, I just picked it up and started reeling and fighting the fish.

I exclusively use True Turn hooks on every species but Crappie (and of course Brim) while fishing. I seem to catch AND retrieve more fish with their hooks. As far as the price, if you look and search conservatively you can buy them comparably as cheap as any other brand or type. They are the best on the bass species in my opinion... Although I do admit to fine tuning them with a sharpening stone to keep them extremely sharp too. It does make that difference. And NO I am not associated with their company either. But I will continue using a good product when I find one?and tell others as well! :cool:

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the tru turns for panfish, and yeah if you hook a panfish deep, just cut it off. the little mild steel hooks should dissolve over time.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

The last time out she wasn't catching the ones that were biting so she went to the next sized smaller hook and started catching them in the mouth again. In between times she tried a small circle type hook but they swallowed them real fast.

james__12345

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also use only true turns for panfish. They do tend to hook in the mouth, and the long shank makes removal much easier, and often they can be removed with out pliers or anything. Another thing I love about them that hasn't been mentioned here, is that in the size 6 and 8 they will straighten out pretty easy of hung on a limb (above or below water haha). However, that is also the one downside, they will straighten out. My uncle lost what we are pretty sure was a big catfish last week because the hook straightened out on us. That likely would have happened with any small panfish hook though. I also wanted to mention that some places do carry them in a bulk pack much cheaper than the little envelope style pack of 10 or whatever it is.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If your gut hooking fish with circle hooks your hooks are too small, you're using "offset" circles or you're "setting" the hook instead of letting the hook work as designed.

When using circles you need to go up a size or two and don't set the hook. I advise people to not take the rod out of the holder until the rod is doubled over, then just crank the handle. "Setting the hook" will either pull the hook out of the mouth or gut hook them if using offset circles. Once you get used to them, they work like a charm.

To give you an idea of the proper sizing, we use 5/0 circles for 18" plus bass. We use a #4 circle for pan fish.

Last edited:

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your gut hooking fish with circle hooks your hooks are too small, you're using "offset" circles or you're "setting" the hook instead of letting the hook work as designed.

beat me to it. I only use circle hooks even on cats. They are great it's just a different type of fishing. I fish for eating purposes so the rare gut hook gets eaten or used for bait.