Ohio river on 28 May 2013

Tyme2fish

Commander
I caught a decent 37lb blue catfish today. It was fun to reel in and it was released after the photo session.

IMAG0376.jpg

Mrs.Tyme then caught a little flathead. I was very proud of her as she hooked and reeled it in all by herself.

IMAG0382.jpg

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ohio river on 28 May 2013

Nice fish! ive been dying to go catfishing haven't done it in years. First one looks more like a big channel cat to me, do you have any other pictures of it? the fin right before the tail on the bottom is rounded on a channel and straight and angular on a blue.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Nice fish! ive been dying to go catfishing haven't done it in years. First one looks more like a big channel cat to me, do you have any other pictures of it? the fin right before the tail on the bottom is rounded on a channel and straight and angular on a blue.

Trust me, it's a blue.

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is that the Galt House in the background? I'm assuming if so you are fishing up in the 'ville. I'm about 40 miles up river. Haven't fished the Ohio, but seeing that makes me want to give it a shot. Any recommendations as to what to use?

Tyme2fish

Commander

Is that the Galt House in the background? I'm assuming if so you are fishing up in the 'ville. I'm about 40 miles up river. Haven't fished the Ohio, but seeing that makes me want to give it a shot. Any recommendations as to what to use?

Yes, that is the Galt House in Louisville,KY in the background. We were fishing below the upper dam and above the lower dam. From up river you'd have to lock through to access where we were or launch below the upper dam in Clarksville,IN or New Albany,IN.

Now that I've told you that, don't go there!! I'm serious. It's a very tricky channel from below the dam to access that spot and you'll trash your lower unit if you've never been there before.

We were using live shad.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Did you keep or release the little Flattie?

Are the cats safe to eat from the OH river?

Tyme2fish

Commander

As with most bodies of water there is a Fish Consumption Advisory for most stretches of the Ohio. When I do keep fish, they are always under 10lb. I mostly will keep the 3 to 7 pounders for a fish fry.