Super garlic scent.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I ordered a couple of bottles of garlic scent last year, the kind that you can dunk your plastic worms in and tint them different colors. So today I hooked a super salty wacky worm on my hook and dunked the end of it in the garlic. Now I know this garlic is highly concentrated and you don't want to open the bottle in an enclosed space unless you want your sinuses cleaned out. But what amazed me was that after I dunked the end of the worm in the bottle and lifted it back out, the end of the worm was falling apart like it had been dunked in acid. I guess I am going to have to go back through the you tube videos and see which plastics they were using this stuff on.

Last edited by a moderator:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Super galic scent.

Re: Super galic scent.

Use it on the thicker plastics, it will eat thin plastic pretty easy. I can't hardly use it on my 2" curly tail grubs because of this.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Super garlic scent.

I ordered a couple of bottles of garlic scent last year, the kind that you can dunk your plastic worms in and tint them different colors. So today I hooked a super salty wacky worm on my hook and dunked the end of it in the garlic. Now I know this garlic is highly concentrated and you don't want to open the bottle in an enclosed space unless you want your sinuses cleaned out. But what amazed me was that after I dunked the end of the worm in the bottle and lifted it back out, the end of the worm was falling apart like it had been dunked in acid. I guess I am going to have to go back through the you tube videos and see which plastics they were using this stuff on.

I have to say you must be an extremely great fisherman to have to put chemicals on your worms to keep fish from biting them. I on the other hand would love for any fish to bit my presentations, so I won't use concentrated garlic solutions like that to keep vampire fish from biting... Heck, I even get excited when I hook a log these days...been a while since I?ve caught much... :embarassed: :facepalm:

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

I tried dunking the tail of a plastic a lizzard in bottle of the stuff today and it didn't eat it away yet. I bought a can of BANG brand spray today and then I got to wondering if all of the concentrated garlic products will eat certain plastics or if it was just the stuff in the bottle. I guess I will take the chance and sacrifice another salty worm to find out. I will start taking a variety of plastics with me from now on just in case I have to sacrifice a few to the garlic. The salty wacky worm was my plan B for fishing out of the wind if it was too windy to use crank baits on the open water side of the lake, so that was the only type of soft bait I had in the boat. From what I could tell almost all of the rest of the fishermen were hitting the shoreline with spinnerbaits and I didn't see any of them fighting a lot of fish. I hear you gm280 but I'm hoping to break my slump soon. Somebody said that is why they call it fishing instead of catching.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Heck, I even get excited when I hook a log these days...been a while since I’ve caught much... :embarassed: :facepalm:

What kind of bait do you use for logs, where do you find 'em and what size hook? I haven't caught a fish in so long I've forgotten what one looks like.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

I thought that I would show what I have found out in case anybody is interested. It is a chemical that is required dye the garlic dip that eats up the plastic like that, not the garlic scent itself. I read as much about it as I could find awhile ago and then I took one of the salty worms out and sprayed the BANG garlic on it and it didn't seem to change it so I took a 5 oz. paper cup and sprayed enough in it to dunk the end of the worm. That didn't change the worm either. So from now on I will use the garlic without the dye on any plastics that contain a lot of salt or are a very soft or thin plastic.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

What kind of bait do you use for logs, where do you find 'em and what size hook? I haven't caught a fish in so long I've forgotten what one looks like.

Ha, my fishing abilities are so finely tuned these days that I can use most any bait, hook, worm or anything with even a hangnail on it and catch a log, branch, and twig (I put the twigs back so they can grow up some – part of my catch and release efforts). Some times when I get really serious, I can catch old fishing line and low growing vegetation too, but that takes a lot more concentration and good hook set... Occasionally (more then I want) I also catch trees, brush and different things along the banks too. It really depends on what I’m going after... I have found out that the best way to not get hung up on too much stuff, I cut the hook off back to where the line is tied to... Works for me! :frusty: :embarassed: :facepalm:

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Ha, my fishing abilities are so finely tuned these days that I can use most any bait, hook, worm or anything with even a hangnail on it and catch a log, branch, and twig (I put the twigs back so they can grow up some – part of my catch and release efforts). Some times when I get really serious, I can catch old fishing line and low growing vegetation too, but that takes a lot more concentration and good hook set... Occasionally (more then I want) I also catch trees, brush and different things along the banks too. It really depends on what I’m going after... I have found out that the best way to not get hung up on too much stuff, I cut the hook off back to where the line is tied to... Works for me! :frusty: :embarassed: :facepalm:

ROTFL!! An answer worthy of Pat McManus! Funniest thing I've read in a long time. I was going to post something about using Model A Bombers to fish for squirrels in the trees along the bank but I can't begin to top your post. I retire from the field, unbloodied but thoroughly bowed.

Again, ROTFL!

Mel

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Around my boat we call that stuff, "cheating juice". It's all in fun, and my guess is the fish could care less, but you did buy it, so there is a sucker born every day. I wonder why a fish might find garlic appealing? I have tons of it growing in my garden, right where I bury all my fish guts, it comes up every year.

Good luck with your garlic juice, maybe I can learn from you.

davepol

Recruit

I got some extra virgin garlic oil from my friend, works so good at the pay lake, I have to hide behind a tree to put the rubber worms on the hook.