The salmon are running the Sacramento River!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachPotato

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Having spent all summer doing other things or sittin' in the rocker, I finally got my old bones moving to load up the coach and boat for a few days on the California Delta near Rio Vista, CA chasing those salmon!

It was a grand three days of fishing, and while a limit eluded me, I did manage a couple of very nice salmon! The first came on Tuesday, taking a chrome Flatfish just above Vieira's resort, off Long Island where all the very nice homes line the river. She weighed in at 15 Lbs.

The second came on Thursday morning, falling for a green Silvertron, just above the Rio Vista Bridge. He weighed in at 21 pounds and was a truly wild salmon - both in pedigree (I suspect) and certainly by his fighting valor.

I spent three days and nights "camped" aboard the motor home at Brannan Park. It was a grand trip. Photos and more story are on my homepage: http://fishwisher.wordpress.com/2012/09/28/the-salmon-are-running-the-sacramento-river/

pdgs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: The salmon are running the Sacramento River!

Nice... I might run over there this weekend and fish it.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Nice read on the wordpress write.

Like your boat, too. There are a few C-Dory boats over here but rare. I think they mostly escape from Maine and NH coasts and get lost here in Vermont :) The C-Dory looks like it can take water well. I was even impressed with a 16-footer I saw at the launch on Champlain. Captain was snug as a bug with 40 degree air temps and water temps to match under a 20-knot breeze and 3' breakers.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Smacked a few fish jigging on the Mokelumne just up from Walnut Grove last weekend, October 20th! They are still there and thick.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Copy and paste is a wonderful thing... too bad it eludes so many.

Captnzila

Cadet
salmon season in Sacto opens july 14 i believe looking foward to some drag peelers ! last season lots of salmon returned to the pacific cause the weather was off for a couple weeks and confused several large schools this happened once i recall my grandfather used to go to trinad on the Ca. Oregon border and we caught abnormally large salmon i landed a 68 lb fish and recall the guys in camp attributing these larger fish to a weird weather pattern in many not spawning good luck to all remember if u dont hook the mouth release !

Status
Not open for further replies.