My custom PVC rodholders and outriggers

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Redneck ingenuity at it's almost finest! The outriggers are removable and slip/pinned into the larger pipes to stop them from rotating, the ends are fabbed to hold spinning or conventional reels w the rod guides inline w the drag. I am going to re-inforce them w a cord or safety strap to the reel/rod and a second pin. The rodholders are fabbed to hold 2 spin and 2 baitcasters securely when the boat bounces around at speed. The pvc tarp frame works well too!!

Attachments

• DSCN0147.JPG
    DSCN0147.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0148.JPG
    DSCN0148.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0149.JPG
    DSCN0149.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 0

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: My custom PVC rodholders and outriggers

Most excellent use of inexpensive materials to solve a sometimes difficult problem. You are to be commended for your igenuity.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

It is alot of fun too think-up and build something that's cheap and does exactly what you want it to do! kfa I like the PVC grabrail, It looks pretty sturdy and obvoiusly lighter than aluminum and the other mods are cool too. I'm thinking of adding a single alum. rail to help my dad step up and down from the front deck or a step w more storage underneath it. I have just posted pics of some other mods I made to my Jonboat on the Resto forum too.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

a country boy will survive .... actually, not just survive, they will do well .... very nice, an idea that I believe will be adapted by many folks

Jim

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

It is alot of fun too think-up and build something that's cheap and does exactly what you want it to do! kfa I like the PVC grabrail, It looks pretty sturdy and obvoiusly lighter than aluminum and the other mods are cool too. I'm thinking of adding a single alum. rail to help my dad step up and down from the front deck or a step w more storage underneath it. I have just posted pics of some other mods I made to my Jonboat on the Resto forum too.

Rails are touchy when it comes to the rules. If you don't expect any problems go for it but if you boat in an area where they tend to get picky you may want to hold back. It seems a boat with no rails is no problem if the law doesn't require them but if you take that same boat and put rails on it then they have to meet specific requirements. I think the requirements are in the boatbuilders handbook on the USCG boating site.

The ONLY reason I even bother to mention this is because a buddy of mine lost a lawsuit because of it. If you don't have any reason to worry about something like that then just forget you even read this.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Jlawsen, it sounds like you talking about handicap type requirements? I had'nt thought of that. I was thinking a single curved aluminum or stainless rail near the middle of the boat that went from the front deck down to the cockpit kinda like i've seen on swimmingpool steps, it would have to have big plates to anchor it to the decks securely. I also wanted to make a very sturdy grabrail like I see on CC boats on my side consol, to hold onto and stand to see shallow water better while cruising in it, but I think it all would have to be custom bent/welded and cost alot.

kfa4303

Banned

Here's one you can just bolt onto to the floor.

GrabRailMainNEW.jpg

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I know the guy JLawsen is talking about and the problem stemmed from him putting a nice railing on his boat that wasn't required originally. Once the railing was installed it implied a certain level of safety was present and when the person fell overboard the railing was considered inadequate. The argument was that if the railing had not been installed the level of safety would not have been assumed and the victum would have been more careful and not fallen overboard.

All a bunch of legal hogwash if you ask me, I know the guy got drunk the night before and was still half in the bucket but didn't bother to tell our friend. Regardless of how I feel about it, the fact still remains that if my friend had built the rails to spec he might of had a fighting chance.

All we're saying is to think about it and if you can, build them to spec (if you can find the specs), if you have any doubt.

fishrdan

Admiral

Looks good mommicked!

attachment.php

Fish jump in his boat, just to check out the rod holders

:D

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Oh no, not asian carp!:facepalm:

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

That giant Asian carp was caught in my adventurus boatless, bankfishing days. It would have knocked a dent in my jonboat if it had jumped in, and probly broke some gear as the 20 min fight had me runnin all around a 2 acre pond and about wore ME out too! I just noticed there's a horizontal crease in my jacket.......I must get that fixed. Stay thirsty my boating friends.:D

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I like your tarp frame. If my wife sees that, my boat will for sure be booted out of the garage....:facepalm: