Double catch same lure . . . had to beat them with paddle . . .

Expidia

Commander
to keep them from jumping into the boat. Well not really, but the Bass were really biting on Nothern Lake George past Sat.
We cruised around for most of the day, so I only had time to fish for 40 minutes as I had an out of town guest onboard who was getting bored watching me fish. I couldn't take listening to her constant "don't hurt the fish" pleas as I was taking fish off the hook.

So of course the fish were biting like mad! I'm sure the reason was the water temperature was probably finally in the ideal range. I had forgotten to take my GPS for the first time. But the water temp. 2 weeks ago on LG when we were swimming in same area was 77 degrees.

I find its always hard for me to hit it just right. Usually, I'm fishing like a few days after a hard rain and find that on most waters the fishing is awful. Or if the waters are cold they are sluggish and same for waters that are hot they go deep and the lesser oxygen levels make them sluggish.

I was trolling 1 mph with the lure in the pic and they were hitting it on each pass about 25 yards off one of the islands, I like lures with orange in them and the bb's/rattles in them.
I had on the line 4 or 5 Bass probably 2-3 lb range as I saw them jump out of the water. Only to shake the lure free several times in the air.

The two fish pictured I thought I had at least a 4 pounder on the line and was surprised to see that I had two fish at once on the same lure. The bigger one was a decent size but from the pic it's hard to tell that:

1345466579.jpg

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Double catch same lure . . . had to beat them with paddle . . .

nice. thats lures as hot as one of them alabama rigs.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

You should submit that pic to the lure manufacturer. Never seen that before......

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lake George Narrows is awsome for those fish.......cool catch......................why am I not out there??

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

That is amazing, I've hooked two on a double bottom rig but never a crank bait. That's just flippin awesome!

Expidia

Commander

Ya, I always feel guilty always using the same lure since I have my tackle box with me all the time with probably 30 or so different lures in it.

This "crank bait" type lure also works great for trolling at 1-2 mph behind the boat. They come in different bill lengths, the longer the bill, the deeper it goes but then it bounces off the bottom too much. I use a medium length bill and buy like 5 at a time which lasts me a few seasons.

I buy the name brand ones when on sale like in Walmart for $5-6 each. Even though there are similar discounted versions in a discounted display in various stores, the knock offs never seem to catch as many fish.

But all in all, it's more a factor of the water clarity and current water temperature when they hit this lure the most. Time of day helps, but Bass seem to hit at anytime of the day if they feel like it!

I'll post back later as to the exact name brand and model I currently am using. I only buy ones with a orange on them and a rattle inside. As a fall back, the ol'e purple rubber worm rigged Texas style is usually a winner too, but to me, catching fish while trolling with the lure like in the picture is closer to Tarpon fishing on the FL Keys. Once you hook a big Bass, they usually come flying out of the water a few feet trying to shake the lure out. Purple worms catch fish, but it's kinda boring to me using this method.

BTW, I don't really beat the fish off with a paddle, that was just a figure of speech :D. I always catch and release and snap a pic of the decent ones.

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll post back later as to the exact name brand and model I currently am using. I only buy ones with a orange on them and a rattle inside.

isn't that lure just called a rattle trap?
orange color's work well on the Hudson River too....
in a couple of month's "I'll be wrapped in orange" south of rte 29..hehe
works really good down there for "not gettin your azz" shot off...
Can't wait......fish on !
FM