Any tips for bass fishing in muddy water in the winter?

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Went out today and got skunked. Not a bite. Water is murky and cold and I need some tips :D

fishspot1

Recruit
Re: Any tips for bass fishing in muddy water in the winter?

Use baits that make a lot of noise or push a lot of water(like spinner baits or swim baits with rattles in them) this will help the fish locate them. Move the baits as slowly as possible. The bass will be moving slowly because of the colder water. Hope this helps.

Ken

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What's your water temps ngt? I thought it was always warm and sunny over there on the left coast?:confused:

What lure/bait were you using and how deep was the water you were fishing? Don't tell be you were casting to the bank like all the other bass-tards do.

ngt

Use baits that make a lot of noise or push a lot of water(like spinner baits or swim baits with rattles in them) this will help the fish locate them. Move the baits as slowly as possible. The bass will be moving slowly because of the colder water. Hope this helps.

Ken

thanks! Will get the louder stuff out on my next try.

What's your water temps ngt? I thought it was always warm and sunny over there on the left coast?:confused:

What lure/bait were you using and how deep was the water you were fishing? Don't tell be you were casting to the bank like all the other bass-tards do.

I don't know the water temp. I am on the shore at this lake, or off the dock. I cast out into the lake as far as I can and run lures that go deep. I live in Nor Cal. I know it's not as cold as the north east, but things get cold here, at least for me. We've had temps in the 20's this year already, but mostly nights get down into the mid 30's. We just had our first rain, if that matters. That's what muddied up the water.

I'd love to skip bass fishing and go for easier to catch fish, what ever they are at this time of year, but there really isn't anything like that this close to me. Everything it 45+ minutes away. This lake is 10 minutes from my work. I know there are fish there. One of the worlds largest bass was caught there. Anyways, thanks for the tips!!

WNYSoldier44

Cadet

This time of your, spean baits and cranks work best due to noise and color lumination.

Stay away from stuff such as power biat fake worms and live bait, as the coldness of water will effect the way craw daddys and nightcralwers motion in the water.

I would suggest a spinner bait with calorado blades because of it flash and vibrations. Also a rattle trap and crankbait in a fire tiger color because of your muddy water conditions.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

A lipless crankbait in a dark color or chrome is one of my favorites.

lukeb83

Seaman

your certainly going to want to use a bait with a nice loud rattle or or some big fat blades to produce some serious vibrations. maybe a top water popper? id give that a whirl (unless your fishing in 15, or plus). and u cant go wrong with a nice bright colored rattletrap!

If the water is normally clear but just muddied by the rain, I would throw something that has a large profile with a big rattle. When the water is cold, crawfish here in the South are red. I would throw a big heavy red rattletrap. When I have fished conditions like this I haven't had many bites but when I did they were good fish.

Jlawsen

Spawn is on, there all up in the creeks. In the main body, fish deep with a bobber stop set around 30 ft with a medium seps flasher and a night crawler no more than 24" off the flasher. You can drift it or troll it but no faster than 1.25mph or whatever the wind decides. Had my fill of catchin by about 10:00 last Saturday.

I

Passin Thru

Recruit
I use dark for dark water, light for light water. Missed something under a bridge on the Potomic last Sunday, caught a 3/8 scale. Bit cold in Va yet but 2 weeks will have Catfish bite lower Mouth.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Use dark colors like black and purple, lures with a lot of vibration or noise and use a slow retrieve.