Best Catfish Bait

cat toon

Seaman
Re: Best Catfish Bait

Try to match you bait with what the fish are feeding on,we have alot of shad here in Arkansas,Skipjack is a very good bait for catfish, Remember match your bait with the type food the carfish are feeding on. I have never found a chicken swimming in the river I fish in here in Arkansas.

cat toon

Seaman

I am not trying to degrade anyones fish bait the they feel comfortable with,my self I try for trophy fish and have never caught any big on anytine except fresh shad and skipjack. Now channels will bite the other bait very well.

cat toon

Seaman

Here are some of my catch all on fresh shad and fresh skips.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 22 April 2010 my Flat 001 [].jpg
    22 April 2010 my Flat 001 [].jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 6734.jpg
    6734.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 0
  • B.O.C. Member 096.jpg
    B.O.C. Member 096.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • Below the Dam 003.jpg
    Below the Dam 003.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This makes three old, dead threads in a row you have resurrected, cat toon. We really prefer that you start a new thread of your own rather than pull old, inactive threads out of the archives.

Thanks for your cooperation. :)

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fortunately, our lake is one of the top catfish (if not the best) lakes in the U.S. The average catfish caught by the winners of a recent catfish tournament was 25 pounds.

:rolleyes: It's almost impossible for me to respond to this statement...25 lbs? Are you kidding.... A catfishing tournament here in Virginia you wouldn't even waste time bringing in a 25 lb weight into the scales. Average winning weights are between 80 and 115 lbs for 2 catfish (only 2 can be weighed).

You have to be talking about Channel cats and then I'd still have to question that the lake you're talking about is even in the top 10 for those cats.
We have a lake here in Virginia that holds the state record on Blue catfish 143 lbs and they're always pulling in large cats from it every weekend.

JB

This is a really old thread, Lizard. You have really good info to contribute, but when an old thread has been inactive for 90 days or more we prefer that you start a new thread of your own.

I realize that you weren't the one who dragged it up from the archives, but you did overlook my post to cat toon, above.

Thanks for your cooperation. :)

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry JB....didn't see you post...so even in the non-boat related sections they still hold true on the old topics rules? I'll try to check prior to responding to future topics. Thanks.

ezbtr

Commander

I used to use chunks of old hot dogs, worked every time, cheese, tortillas as well :)

JB

You, too, Heinz??

OLD THREAD. DO NOT POST HERE

charlie"D"mc

Cadet

personal photos.jpgThis one is right on! The trophy sise cats in the James River only eat fresh cut or live baits we use brim/bluegill pre-caught in local running creeks, put in airator waterbuckets. The flat heads and Blues around here are giants. We have tried to take home the remaining baitfish and freeze them for another day thaw in water on the way to the river. Will sit there for 8 hrs 2 poles have fresh cut or live bait catch big cats all day long while the two poles with frozen thawed doesn't get a hit all day/or night long.
When we want cats for eating we use night crwalers and chicken livers catch so many 3lb to 7lb blue cats (great great fried eatin!) that we get tired of pulling them in. They all go on the stringer till the end of the day then we throw them all back except the 3 or 4 we take home, skin and fry that evening or put in the freezer for dinner later that week.
Channel cats are far and few around here so all the channel cats we catch (very seldom) go right back in the water. Last week I caught a 26lb channel is trophy sise here but no way to get em to greentop or bass pro and back to the river alive so I gave her a big kiss on the mouth and threw her back. I say "her" because its stomach was even bigger than she was abviously getting ready to drop all her eggs not worth a piece of paper on the wall if she has to die also! Love catching cats always looking, sometimes getting the "River Monster".
Oh yea we catch catfish in February 20 degrees outside they bite all winter long too!
Took my drywall helper once in February he was freezing, shaking in the front of the boat saying when can we go? It was at that moment I realized what a "crackhead" and a cat fisherman have in common while I looked to my helper and said "Just one more! Just one more!"
Y'all hav fun!