Setting up Seth Green rig, need level wind reel reccommendation- Finger Lakes

Kramer44

Cadet
I have read all I can on Seth Green rigs and last season had a guy show me how he does it on Keuka lake. Been to Suttons and know which spoons to buy for trout on Keuka / Canandaigua/ seneca lakes. I am ready to set up a pole and reel (have the pole with roller end). I have heard that you can bend the opening on some level wind reels to allow the "beads" to go through. I was hoping to pick up a reel on ebay but need some recommendations on make and model that I can bend out the opening on for this type of fishing. If anyone can offer suggestions I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in Advance, see ya on the water

David in NY

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Setting up Seth Green rig, need level wind reel reccommendation- Finger Lakes

Ayuh,... What's a Seth Green rig,..??

I've never used anything that requires runnin' the terminal tackle onto the reel....

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Setting up Seth Green rig, need level wind reel reccommendation- Finger Lakes

If you can get a Victrola box you would not need a reel,but those are hard to get these days.
I tried a Seth Green rig with a Penn 340 GTI levelwind, but the swivels,or if you have them,the beads can easily get caught in the level wind system.I went back to a Penn 113 Senator,which is a "do it with your thumb" level wind.It was much easier with almost no problems.Make sure you use a heavy rod with big guides.Just remember the 5 fish limit in the fingerlakes.A Seth Green rig is a system that helps you catch fifty trout in a short time.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Bond-O -

A Seth Green is a rig that allows you to run up to five baits off a single line. Way past predecessor to the downrigger used mostly by "meat fishermen." Named after the father of NY fish culture. Some guys on the Finger Lakes use them, however on Lake Ontario, 3 big salmon would rip it apart. Personnally (& no offence Krammer) I think they should be illegal.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

scipper77

Commander

Bond-O -
Named after the father of NY fish culture.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

So that's where Seth Green park gets it's name.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Bond-O -

A Seth Green is a rig that allows you to run up to five baits off a single line. Way past predecessor to the downrigger used mostly by "meat fishermen." Named after the father of NY fish culture. Some guys on the Finger Lakes use them, however on Lake Ontario, 3 big salmon would rip it apart. Personnally (& no offence Krammer) I think they should be illegal.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Tom,I agree with you on the legality issue. Seth Green was not only the father of NY fish culture,he was also a commercial fisherman and the Seth Green rig should be illegal as a sporting tool.

Kramer44

Cadet

Gentleman:

Thanks for the input, I was hopeful that there would be some upstate NY fisherman that were familiar with SG rigs "trolling" this forum. Regarding the reel, thanks for the Penn senator suggestion rolmops, I looked at some on ebay and I think I am going to try and get my hands on one, then I'll head off to Suttons to get the rest of what I need.

I have been trout fishing the Branchport arm of Keuka for many years now and just bought a new boat that will better support trolling. Getting bored with the still fishing and I plan on trying some dipsy divers and SG rigs this summer. I have heard many fish stories about how well the SG rigs work on Keuka and with the lesson my friend gave me I think I can do it.

Interesting take on the legality of the SG. I never really considered that. What makes it more productive or worthy of being outlawed than regular Trolling?

Thanks

David In NY

rolmops

Vice Admiral

"Interesting take on the legality of the SG. I never really considered that. What makes it more productive or worthy of being outlawed than regular Trolling?"

The higher productivity is in the fact that five different strata in the column are targeted at the same time and in the fact that very heavy duty equipment is used.
As for the legality of this method..
This is mostly an opinion about what sports fishing is all about. Longline is a catch and release fisherman and so am I. We try to enjoy fishing without killing the fish. Others enjoy both catching and eating their catch. Sportsmanship in hunting and fishing is in the eye of the beholder and everybody has a different take on it.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not "holier than thou" & am not pushing to make them illegal. They are legal so go for it and good luck.

NY allows sports anglers to use 2 "lines" each with up to 15 points per line. Many other states utilize a "rod" law for sports angling. I believe sports angling should require rods. The true sg doesn't use a rod. The modified one uses very heavy tackle in relation to the size fish being sought. I believe they should be governed under commercial fishing and not the sports angling regulalations.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

scipper77

Commander

I'm not "holier than thou" & am not pushing to make them illegal. They are legal so go for it and good luck.

NY allows sports anglers to use 2 "lines" each with up to 15 points per line. Many other states utilize a "rod" law for sports angling. I believe sports angling should require rods. The true sg doesn't use a rod. The modified one uses very heavy tackle in relation to the size fish being sought. I believe they should be governed under commercial fishing and not the sports angling regulalations.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

So does this mean the Seth Green rig is legal for the Lake Ontario tournaments?? (just asking, not equiped to compete even if I wanted to).

P.S. My Neighbor Andy won King of the lake 2 years ago. Why do I think Tom and Rolmops know him.

Kramer44

Cadet

Thanks for the lead rolmops!!!

I bought those two seth green rigs today. Got a good deal and they should be a great way to get started. Although the guy did not have the "roller" on the end, just a regular eye, I think I can remedy that. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Suttons.

Really appreciate you pointing me to those rigs!!

David In NY