trolling plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceWater

Seaman
Has anyone ever used a trolling plate to slow down their boat from trolling and how well did it work?

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: trolling plate

I have a Troll-a-Matic on my 140HP Mercruiser and it works OK to slow the boat, not as slow as I would like, but much better than without it. This plate is spring loaded and always in the down position (actually about 35-40* when the engine is idling in gear) so I loose some steering control idling and while backing, I have to over compensate while turning.

There are other plates that lock into the down position and would probably slow the boat even more, but I didn't like them as you can break them up if you forget to raise the plate before powering up, broken pins, bent plate. Never had one of those, but read some reviews complaining about this,,, which steered me away from them. I'd think this type of plate would have even worse forward steering control since the plate is locked straight down, instead of being pushed up a bit.

IceWater

Seaman

Thanks, you've answered my concerns. I didn't want to spend $160 for something that doesn't work. I'm buying one that operates at 90 degrees when engaged and if I have trouble steering I'll cut a 'V' in the center. Remembering to lift it before I power up will be an issue, but I'll deal with it.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

The lock-down versions usually have a hole in the center. Directional control in forward is fairly good.

The "automatic" one (I have one) didn't do very well until I added some additional springs (there are positions for four springs) and it does OK. When I need to troll faster than my 42# MinnKota (or the battery is dead!) I use the plate. If the plate doesn't slow me enough, I lower the Minnkota and lock it sideways which adds to my drag. That usually covers every speed I need.

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

might be happyer with 2 drift socks, one on each side......................................................................

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

might be happyer with 2 drift socks, one on each side......................................................................

DCP_3344A.jpg

A pair of 12' ropes with a 5 gallon bucket on each rope. Each bucket has about a dozen 9/16" holes drilled into the bottom.

This set up allowed me to troll for pike with my '18 Celebrity which was propped for high speed.

I borrowed a drift sock to use and the buckets worked much better for me.

Jeff

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

...A pair of 12' ropes with a 5 gallon bucket on each rope. Each bucket has about a dozen 9/16" holes drilled into the bottom....

You might find that this one modification to the bucket method may improve your ability to successfully net fish and also eliminate the risk of your prop finding the bucket ropes:

Tie the buckets to a shorter length of rope from a side cleat or mooring guide on your bow. That will give you your drag without being in the way of landing big fish, no hooks in the ropes, and no chance of an unexpected fish-on "maneuver" getting those ropes wrapped up.

My 2 cents

IceWater

Seaman

I put the trolling plate on a few days ago and to be honest I had never heard of a drift sock before. I prefer the 2 buckets idea because I have 2 buckets kicking around that are always in the way. I think I'll do up the buckets just in case I need to slow down a little more.

vhuevos7

Seaman

I am thinking of buying a plate as well, My quesyion not to steal this thread but do the make them for 175 hrs motars like mine? I have looked on line but only seem to find for upto 140-150hrs.

IceWater

Seaman

A few pictures of my trolling plate. I haven't had it in the water since installation - trailer problems - but hopefully tomorrow evening I will get a few Walleye.

HPIM4492.jpg

HPIM4493.jpg

Titanty

Seaman Apprentice

^^^That's the same plate we use on my brothers boat. It does slow you down...

But the plate needed a little attention from the fab shop last time I was with him. It actuall gave out where the main part of the flap merges to the hinge area. Nothing a little extrat braceing and welding didn't take care of!

Get the net

Recruit

A few pictures of my trolling plate. I haven't had it in the water since installation - trailer problems - but hopefully tomorrow evening I will get a few Walleye.

HPIM4492.jpg

HPIM4493.jpg

Have a 120 horse Mercury o/b wanted to know if this would be a good plate to get....what brand and what size is it?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Drift socks are good for drifting but will eventually fall apart when used for trolling,...

However trolling bags also work great as drift socks,...

Google up "Amish Outfitters",...They are the "gold standard" on Lake Erie charter boats, I have a pair for my boat and they are worth every penny,.....

IceWater

Seaman

Have a 120 horse Mercury o/b wanted to know if this would be a good plate to get....what brand and what size is it?

We used the trolling plate lots last year and it worked great. I'd have to have a closer look at it to tell you the brand, but I think they are all very similar.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Dragging buckets and plates are probably o.k. on an I/O but if you think about it, you're running that motor under a heavier than normal load for long periods of time. These methods are really hard on two stroke outboards. The four strokes seem to deal with it a little better as long as you give them a good high rpm run after you're done or if they start acting up.

Don't read this like an armchair opinion, it's not. I've had to fix a lot of motors that failed early in life because of this. I call them poor man's kicker motors and if that's all you can afford then you make do with what you have. That's cool just know that you can be bringing on early engine failure.

My advice, run these while you're saving you pennies for a kicker motor.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Dragging buckets and plates are probably o.k. on an I/O but if you think about it, you're running that motor under a heavier than normal load for long periods of time. These methods are really hard on two stroke outboards. The four strokes seem to deal with it a little better as long as you give them a good high rpm run after you're done or if they start acting up...

Eh?? Hard on the motor? Hard on 2-strokes? Start acting up? I don't even have any idea how many hours I have trolled my 1985 Suzuki DT40. There is no way in the world you can tell me that my motor is going to take more wear at idle than it does running 90% WOT jouncing through 1-2' waves. Can you imagine a boat motor manufacturer saying, "oh, buy our outboard for your fishing boat. But don't fish with it!!"

Jlawsen

Eh?? Hard on the motor? Hard on 2-strokes? Start acting up? I don't even have any idea how many hours I have trolled my 1985 Suzuki DT40. There is no way in the world you can tell me that my motor is going to take more wear at idle than it does running 90% WOT jouncing through 1-2' waves. Can you imagine a boat motor manufacturer saying, "oh, buy our outboard for your fishing boat. But don't fish with it!!"

There is always someone on this board that reads just what they want to then comments without any real background other than a personal experience which may or may not even apply. The only thing I can tell you is that there isn't one Outboard motor manufacturer (or I/O) that offers a trolling plate option for their motors or propulsion systems. Stop and ask yourself why that is.

Bondo

Staff member

Dragging buckets and plates are probably o.k. on an I/O but if you think about it, you're running that motor under a heavier than normal load for long periods of time. These methods are really hard on two stroke outboards. The four strokes seem to deal with it a little better as long as you give them a good high rpm run after you're done or if they start acting up.

Don't read this like an armchair opinion, it's not. I've had to fix a lot of motors that failed early in life because of this. I call them poor man's kicker motors and if that's all you can afford then you make do with what you have. That's cool just know that you can be bringing on early engine failure.

My advice, run these while you're saving you pennies for a kicker motor.

Ayuh,.... With an I/O, yer doin' yer driveline a Favor,....

The hardest thing an I/O sees is Trolling,...
The constant loading, 'n unloading of the gears 'n splines, from the boat pushin', then bein' pushed, Kills the coupler, if not kept Greased...
I'm sure outboards see the same thing, 'n suffer the same abuse...

I've been trollin' Lake Ontario for goin' on 15 years now...
I've never used a drive mounted brake...
I started out usin' drift socks, or trollin' bags, same things, different names, 'n manufacturers...
That's because all the Pro-boats I've been on use 'em...

Over the years, I've refined my trollin' system, to a 3 point attack,...

Point #1, the 1 I use the least now, is the trollin' socks, But, tied off on the Foreward cleats, 'n the retrieve cord tied to the aft cleats,...
This keeps the bags nice, 'n tight to the sides of the hull, or under it, 'n Outa the way of Fishin' off the transom...

Point #2 was adding Waayyy Over-sized Bennett trim tabs,....
When I drop 'em to Full Down,... They Really slow the hull, as they're the 12"x 18" tabs, where the hull calls for the 9x9s, or 9x12s...

Point #3, is my Prop,...
It's an ole L&S Torque-Shift prop,... I have it set up to troll at 11" of pitch, 'n it'll shift up to 'bout 20" on plane...
I also used the heaviest springs for it, which holds it in a lower pitch, longer...

Now-a-days,... Just choppin' the throttle to idle gives me 'bout 1.5 to 2mpg...
Drop the over-sized tabs, 'n it drops to 3/4 to 1.5 mph....
Deploy the socks, 'n I can run 1000 rpms, 'n Still be at Sub-1 mph...
At idle, my gps often says I ain't even movin'...

And,... at 1000 rpms, the driveline slack is pretty much Gone, so that saves the coupler splines(along with plenty of Grease ;) )

There's Lotsa ways to skin a cat,... 'n That's My system....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

There is always someone on this board that reads just what they want to then comments without any real background other than a personal experience which may or may not even apply. The only thing I can tell you is that there isn't one Outboard motor manufacturer (or I/O) that offers a trolling plate option for their motors or propulsion systems. Stop and ask yourself why that is.

My 2 stroke pushes a #6K boat at 800-900 RPM, 200-250 hours a year while trolling. No problems. Not even a fouled plug. It sounds like Mark does doesn't have an issue with his Suzuki either.

If you keep the motor tuned up and run good oil and fuel,you will not have an issue trolling a 2 stroke.

As for the OEM trolling plate, why would an OEM offer something as an option that maybe 0.01% of all users would buy. It financially doesn't make sense.

Jlawsen

Please explain why the "heavy load" is not an issue with a small kicker with substantual less HP.

They do and that's why the now discontinued Yamaha 8 Kicker and the Merc 9.9 pro kicker have beefed up lower units and are high thrust. Two strokes absolutely do not last long when operated under heavy loads. Merc solved the issue by producing the 100, 115 and 125 2+2 motors that run on two cylinders up to about 1500 RPM. They also produce smaller mid size engines with the Big Foot option.

Like I said in my original post, if you guys want to run them, I really don't care. I choose not to and don't recommend them to anyone, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.