Floating jigheads for walleye?

Huron Angler

Admiral
Who has used these and what best practices/tips do you have to share?

I'm heading down to the St. Joseph river near Niles, MI and haven't used these before so was curious what kind rigging people have used.

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: Floating jigheads for walleye?

3ft behind a bottom bouncer or a sinker, so it stay around 1ft of the bottom while moving. Rigged with a minnow, a worm, a twister tail, whatever you whant.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thanks for the info:)...that's what I've seen used, just never rigged one myself.

I'm wondering if I will need to use lighter line to give it good action in the current and let it float properly.

I have 10lb fireline that should work, maybe better with some 5-8lb mono?

I need to get in a clear spot in the river and test some to see what the action will be like.

gonefishie

Commander

Floating jighead, sounds like an oxymoron. :D is it styrofoam instead of lead? fireline doesn't float.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Who has used these and what best practices/tips do you have to share?

I'm heading down to the St. Joseph river near Niles, MI and haven't used these before so was curious what kind rigging people have used.

FWIW, I haven't had much luck with floating jigheads on the main river I fish, or even any bottom bouncer spinner/floating rig. Works fine on lakes for me. I have rationalized it to be related to the current messing the slow presentation up. Could be all in my head or only applicable to the river/area I fish. Regular jigs and jigging work well here.

Yes, they are made with styrofoam, and painted over. They don't like most soft plastics though. Keep them seperated or you might have a melted mess on your hands.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Floating jighead, sounds like an oxymoron. :D is it styrofoam instead of lead? fireline doesn't float.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/floating-jigs-rigs/315310.aspx

The ones in that link are pretty similar to the ones I bought.

They are foam so probably won't be very durable once some sharp teeth get after them.

I'm optimistic as last year the biggest fish(6lb, 28") was caught on these type of rigs at the walleye derby I'm headed to this weekend.:D

Gonefishie, have you ever fished the St. Joe river? You aren't too far away from South Bend are you?

CrappieMagnet

Seaman Apprentice

Try a Ring N Grub.They are deadly on river walleyes.

gonefishie

Commander

Gonefishie, have you ever fished the St. Joe river? You aren't too far away from South Bend are you?

Nope, one of these days I will make it up there. I'm actually about 4hrs south of South Bend.

CrappieMagnet

Seaman Apprentice

Ring N Grub from Catch-N Tackle but they are out of business but I found a link elsewhere.Here is a pic.

grubs2.jpg

Their other name is a 4-inch Rib Grub
Thread this on a 1/4 oz Jighead and your in business.

And the link where you can purchase them.

http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=2163&CATID=54