Shimano Curado vs Citica (also gear ratio questions)

smalltime

Cadet
Ok, so I've been researching baitcasters. Was looking towards Abu Garcia, but have found endless amounts of positive reviews for the Shimano Curado and Citica reels.

Obviously, there is about a $60 price increase with the new Curado.

1) Is this difference justified between the two reels?
2) If I go with the Curado, which ratio is best for spinnerbaits, worms, cranks and other bass lures?

I don't think I want the 7:1 ratio, but wanted to ask some of the bass anglers here on the boards. Thanks for any input!

Curado E link
Citica E link

Lastly, can anyone give suggestions about which rod to go with?
Crucial Rod Link

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Shimano Curado vs Citica (also gear ratio questions)

I use a Citica 200D series reel for mainly heavy bass fishing (swimbaits) and catfishing. I also like it for bay-bassing small swimbaits, gear ratio is perfect for that kind of stuff. A friend has the Curado, and its not much different from the Citica, unless you use it in salt, there might be a few metal differences.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Which ever reel you get,there are so many rods.I use a 7' Ugly Stik, Medium action.1 piece.Have had it for maybe 10 years,not ever a problem.And very stiff hook sets.And very sensitive.

gonefishie

Commander

If the price different matter to you then I would go with the Citica. If not, then definetely go with the Curado. I got both of those and can't find anything negative about them, NONE. For an all purpose set up would be the Crucial rod (6'6", medium heavy, extra fast tip) paired with a 6:3:1 ratio Curado E. This set up will allow you to use almost the entire spectrum of bass lures. It might not be the perfect set up for some but it won't be a no no set up either.

smalltime

Cadet

Hey, thanks for the responses gentlemen, I really appreciate all of the input. I went out and bought the Citica 200E, along with a 6'6" Shimano Compre rod. (medium power, fast action).

I got some advice from a local guy who uses many types of combinations, and he told me to save some money and go with the citica if I'm only fishing freshwater.

Anyways, can't wait to try this combo out, here's just a couple pics of the new gear. (Haven't even torn off the plastic on the cork)

0022.jpg

0012.jpg

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a nice set-up.Go catch some fish now.Good luck.

jam1ej20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That looks like WAY too much line. I find that baitcasters operate much more smoothly with about 75% line capacity. It's not like you're fighting a marlin and your line will go old before you can cut off that much anyway.

smalltime

Cadet

I think it may be the angle, because it does look like alot from the picture. I took my setup out for about 4 hours this past weekend, and only had a couple instances where the line came loose (that was from using too light of a lure)

Anyways, I finally have the approach down and I absolutely love this combo. The reel is smooth yet solid, and I couldn't ask for a better rod.

Sportsmans warehouse spooled the line for me and didn't charge me. There was a bass pro in the store who also pointed me in the direction of some lures that he uses in tournaments. I can't wait for memorial day!