Fishing Line

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im going to restring all of my reels soon. But with all the differnt choices now. I not sure what to use. Im thinking of a braided line around 8lb test. All my reels are sipncast. Just thought I would toss this out and get some sugestions.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fishing Line

8lb is pretty light for braided line...

I think you might be better off with flourocarbon line.

millwood

Cadet

It really is going to depend on what you are fishing for. I like to hit heavy cover when I go for Bass and I use a 20-30lb braid. The braid has a smaller diameter with a larger lb test.

Ares596ZP

Seaman Apprentice

If you are going with a braided, step up to a 20lb test. The Spiderwire braided 20lb test has an 6lb test diameter I do believe. Definitely worth it. Imo. :D

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if an 8lb braid is even made?

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess I ment to say, Im looking for something in the 8lb dia. If the braided 20lb is the size of 6lb. that sounds great. Im going to check it out.

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are going with a braided, step up to a 20lb test. The Spiderwire braided 20lb test has an 6lb test diameter I do believe. Definitely worth it. Imo. :D

I been looking at the spiderwire but there alot of differnt types to choose from. A friend sugested the fussion. Anyone else want to put there two cents in?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Have a care.You may get great casting,for a while at least,but too thin a diameter tends to fly of the reel way too fast and often causes knots that you do not ever want to see.Braided line knots are impossible to untangle.the only solution is cutting them out.

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try Yo Zori co polamar I use it and love it! Goggle it! :cool:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I like powerpro, use it on spinning & baitcasting tackle, don't use spincast.

Use a mono backing, to offset the cost of braid and to prevent the line from slipping on the spool. Uni-to-uni knot works good for joining.

Whatever knot you use to attach your terminal tackle, unless it's a palomer knot it will slip right out of braid.

Braid lasts forever, until it gets tangled and knotted and you have to cut it away.

BF

Lieutenant

well... I'll share my experience (such that it is). I loaded one of my spinning reels with braided (gorilla tough) last spring, I think the size that you're talking about. I use it for tossing small spoons, spinners or spinner baits into shore for smallies.

It casts great, is completely limp and gives a great feel on the rod tip (no stretch), but..... it scores the rod tip eyelet and more importantly, I think I catch fewer fish with it. To me, the braided line looks much more visible in the water than mono. I wondered why the fishing on my lake got so slow, so I switched back to a different spinning setup (with mono), and magically the fishing was back to normal.

Season's not open here yet this year, but I'm thinking I might add a 4 or 5' mono leader section onto the braid and see if that helps (?)

Anyone else experience this??

rolmops

Vice Admiral

well... I'll share my experience (such that it is). I loaded one of my spinning reels with braided (gorilla tough) last spring, I think the size that you're talking about. I use it for tossing small spoons, spinners or spinner baits into shore for smallies.

It casts great, is completely limp and gives a great feel on the rod tip (no stretch), but..... it scores the rod tip eyelet and more importantly, I think I catch fewer fish with it. To me, the braided line looks much more visible in the water than mono. I wondered why the fishing on my lake got so slow, so I switched back to a different spinning setup (with mono), and magically the fishing was back to normal.

Season's not open here yet this year, but I'm thinking I might add a 4 or 5' mono leader section onto the braid and see if that helps (?)

Anyone else experience this??

Why don't you go one better and use a fluorocarbon leader? It has no stretch and it is completely invisible under water.

fishrdan

Admiral

A friend sugested the fussion. Anyone else want to put there two cents in?

Spiderwire Fusion is very thick spectra. I picked up 5-6 spools at BPS for $3.99, so guessing it's not popular. I use it for trolling and 1 spool of 24# will completely fill an Abu 5500, thick stuff. For my application it works great as I'm only after the low stretch, but I would hate to cast this stuff.

I like a few Stren's braided lines, not a fan Gorilla Braid because of snap offs at rod tip, liked Fireline but haven't used it recently, Berrkley Big Game Briad (or what ever it's called ) is very thin and strong, PowerPro is cheap but not the best casting line.

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ended up getting one of my reals loaded with 20lb Firewire yesterday. Went out for a couple horus befor it started raining here in NE ohio.
Although I didnt catch anything, I thought it handled well. Casted good, seems to have no memory. But hard to really tell until I find a willing fish to help me test it out more.
Hitting on what BF said, this line is black. So I would imagain that it is very visible under water. Any one else notice fewer catches using this type of line?
Im going to try to get out again today or tomorrow (weather permiting) I will take another rod along with mono and see what I catch.

Patrick

FLATHEAD

Commander

You need to use a leader with braid. As was suggested. I would go with a fluorocarbon leader. I normally use about a 25 or 30 inch piece. That way it is long enough for several reties before you need to tie on a new leader. You need to learn a good knot, something you can do easily to connect your braid and fluro. The braid will work great if your fishing jigs or soft plastics. It is not so great with cranbaits and spinnerbaits. The biggest advantage of braid is the no stretch properties of it. You can feel every little tap on the line.

I prefer Power pro with seaguar Fluro.

Ares596ZP

Seaman Apprentice

I normally use a leader with my braided lines. As for tangles and rats nests, I have only had it happen once and it was my own fault. Also you can get different color braids, I use a Moss Green SpiderWire Stealth. It matches the color of the water I fish pretty darn close. Other than expense I really have no complaints regarding the braided super lines.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Powerpro will lose its coloration after awhile, and turn white. My opinion, this doesn't make the line less visible than before ;) .

Solution No. 1: wind it on to another reel, then back on to the original reel, putting the fresh end out and the used end in, so to speak.
Solution No. 2: a permanent marker with a slit cut in the felt tip, run the last 4-5 feet through it.

Another thing is, while it's almost impossible to break with a steady force (honestly think I could anchor my boat with 80lb powerpro), it is subject to breaking from "shock force" - such as trying to boat a 10 lb striper before it tires, or attempting to cast when the line has secretly tied itself to your rod tip - just be glad the line broke instead of the rod.

But I love the sensitivity - lost count of the schooling fish I've hooked in the top of the head while jigging a spoon - never happens with mono. Like I always say, if you can't get 'em to bite, just whack 'em in the head with it.

walleyehed

Admiral

I would be close to Flathead on going with a floro leader, but as a walleye fisherman at heart, I've used fireline since it came out and I have NOTHING bad to say about it. I recently went to Crystal fireline on jigging rods (spinning) and all of my trolling and down-rigger lines. I tie on a floro leader that is atleast 5lbs heavier in test than my main-line and start at 12ft. I would have no problem fishing most conditions other than bass in the trash with 8lb fireline. I was using 6lb fireline 2 years ago when I broke the Nebraska state record for Wiper...21lbs. 13oz....on a white 3" curly tail with a 1/4oz head....1hr and 40 min fight.
If I had to look at another braid, it would no doubt be PowerPro...Straight Florocarbon....have to go with Berkley Vanish there.
Tuff mono in general??? Trilene big Game...I think they start at 10lb...I use 20-30lb on my baitcasters when chuckin' spinnerbaits, or deep slabbing for Stripper.
Lot's a good lines out there.:)