noob

zach103

Commander
just started fishing.. figured it can calm me down better than a fist in the wall lol...

what do i need to know.. what bait should i use.. what shouldnt i use.. etc.. dos and donts of fishin

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: noob

it all depends on where you are fishing, for what, time of year. etc.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go to the library, Zach. Check out A.J. McLane's New Standard Fishing Encyclopedia and spend some time in there.

Decide what you are going to fish for, where and when. McLane will tell you how.

sbulla

Seaman

just started fishing.. figured it can calm me down better than a fist in the wall lol...

what do i need to know.. what bait should i use.. what shouldnt i use.. etc.. dos and donts of fishin

Stop by a local tackle/bait shop near where you're going fishing and chat with them about what's biting and what they're catching them on.

Try a bunch of different things and you'll find something that's fun. Most of all....be patient! You're out there to relax, don't be bummed if you don't catch anything. After all....they call it "fishing", not "catching". ;-)

Sonny

gonefishie

Commander

Invite/ask/beg someone who does fish frequently to go fishing with you and pick their brain. Go with as many people as you can, each one of them would probably have something to add to your knowledge base.
Do: read and watch as much as possible anything fishing related.
Do: be courteous to other fisherman.
Don't: fish within 50 yard of another fisherman that is anchored.
Don't: fish around a gas pump.
Do: handle fish very carefully and practice catch and release.
Don't: throw your trash including used fishing line in the water.
DO NOT: DUMP YOUR UNUSED MINOWS IN THE WATER. unless you're absolutely sure they're dead.
Do: have patience, lot of it.

If you have a hot temper, I suggest you don't buy expensive gears because they might end up on the bottom of the lake. :D