night fiishing on a boat

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
We went out bass fishing yesterday and caught a big keeper just before the sun went down. We decided to keep fishing into the night. This is the first time we have stay that late. The trip was fun and I have a question.

a. When we were trolling we had our front green and red lights as well as the white light in the back on. We are considering adding a light and attach it to the bow eye to shine more light on the water so the trolling driver can navigate a little better. We are just on a 18 foot bowrider. Would this extra light be an issue with the lake patrol?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: night fiishing on a boat

This might really throw off other boaters.It is hard enough to gauge the distance between boats in the dark,when you have extra lights,other boaters may think that in fact you are one moving and one anchored boat.In short it may cause trouble.
At least in NY waters it would be illegal

rndn

Commander

Maybe you could find a brighter rear white light? If it's bright enough, it may help. I have used in the past, in New York waters, a suction mounted remote controlled flood light. I mounted it on my from deck, closed bow at the time, and it really helped with night navigation. I did come across a Sheriff and a NYS State Park police boats and they never said a word about breaking any rules. I know when underway you need to have the navigation lights going as a minimum, but I have never read anything about not being able to run with docking lights or some other kind of spotlight. The big commercial fishing boats have spotlights and other lights all over them as long as the still have the red/green and white navigation lights. I know the post above said in NY waters it would be illegal, but I would like to see the actual rule stating that no other lights are allowed to be used.
You could always check with the Coast Guard Aux.

rndn

Commander

This is from the NYS website.
Navigation Lights
Recreational vessels must display their required navigational
lights at all times between sunset and sunrise, and
during daylight periods of reduced visibility. Sail vessels
less than 23 feet in length as well as manually propelled
vessels may carry, in lieu of fixed lights, a lantern with a
white light which can be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent
a collision. Law enforcement vessels may also exhibit
a blue flashing light. Should you see such a light, reduce speed,
yield, and if necessary stop your vessel. (See page 27)

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

As long as you meet the minimum legal requirements, I don't think you have an issue. I have seen several guys around here in Ga with pontoons rigged for SERIOUS night fishing...I'm talking about 1000 watt Halogen lights on booms 8 to 10 feet off the sides of the boat run by one of those ultra quite honda generators!!! Looks like a damn UFO on the water from a distance!

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah here in florida you can use spotlights/docking lights. the rule of thumb is only use it when you need it, so that you dont blind other boaters. there is definitely no law forbidding lights.

also pretty much all saltwater rigs of any size have numerous lights other than the required nav lights. i find it doubtful there are laws against having other lights in any state.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Allow me to clarify.
In NY state it is fine to have work lights while anchored and even while trolling.
It is illegal to use headlights (like you would have them on a car) on a boat in order to navigate.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I night fish almost exclusively and have found it is alot easier to "read" the water without a spot light/headlights as long as there is at least some light.
Just the reflection off the water makes even the smallest thing really stand out.
The spot seems to pick up all the stuff in the air, almost like driving in fog.
Keep a spot light handy so you can check once in awhile but, for me at least, it is harder to drive with a light on all the time.
And as pointed out below, if you are running a headlight other boaters won't be able to see your front nav lights.

Night fishing is great though, all the skiers and jet skis are gone for the night and it is just more peaceful, just run slow and keep your head on a swivel and you will be fine.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

Night fishing is great though, all the skiers and jet skis are gone for the night and it is just more peaceful, just run slow and keep your head on a swivel and you will be fine.

AMEN!!! I can't wait for it to warm up a bit more here in the ATL area.. Went out yesterday for a bit as it was nice and warm..damn jetfleas were everywhere...