fishing the ct river

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
any of you guys fish the lower ct river? I live near the mouth of the river to long island sound....this time of year there are schoolie size stripers all over in the river....but catching these little guys ever other cast gets a little old...i've been told a of a few places to catch some good size northern pike...i figure that i might check that out this weekend, but i've never fished for pike before...i mostly fish saltwater but i have some freshwater tackle....would crankbaits or buzzbaits be any good for pike?

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: fishing the ct river

sorry, not buzzbaits...meant to say spinnerbaits....

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: fishing the ct river

Unless you get 3 foot pike,the striper will give you more of a fight.
Anyway,with the herring runs starting up as we speak,the sea run stripers will be very close to your doorstep any day now....
Pike like minnow shaped baits but they are not as easily fooled into striking as a bass so the extravagant buzz and rattle act are a bit of a waste of time.I have fished pike in the upper Connecticut river in MA in early spring,but now with the melt water turning the river violent I would just as soon stay out of there and try for brood salmon which pound for pound fights harder than a striper