Bream

splitshot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it too early to be fishing for bream i have been hearing march and april but i have been twice about 6hrs a piece with no luck any ideas..fishing on the river tried shallow and deep,calm and barely moving still no luck ?? thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bream

There are a lot of fish species called bream. If you are talking about the bluegill sunfish my guess is that they are bedding or at least prebedding by now in FL. That concentrates them in a few areas in large numbers.

Look for fairly shallow flats with a sandy bottom. In reasonable clear water you can see the beds. Looks like a miniature artillery target range. If your nose is good seek the fragrance of watermelon. I have caught bedding bluegills in as little water as 12" and as much as 4-5'. Watch out for giant bass prowling the perimeter. One of the biggest bass I ever caught was just outside a bluegill bed. Caught it on a cricket with a willow pole!!

splitshot

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes blue gill or for that matter anything that will bite i didnt even get a nibble i was using wigglers and crickets on a zebco 33 usually 4-5 feet down but also tried along the banks with #6 hook i believe...would a fish finder help to find the beds also ?? thanks for the help

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here in Michigan they (Sunfish, including red-ears, and Bluegill) bite all year around. Seriously, we fish for them thru the ice with meal worms, wax worms, etc. using a VERY small bobber and very light line. I use the same technique in very shallow water just after ice-out with good success as well. They do bite year around.

Terry

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Bream fishing has ben crazy this yuear in florida. thaty are confused and they are biting with record sizes being harvested.

Do a gogle search for florida fishing reports, the whole state is enjoying an early bream bite here.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

cfloater

Recruit

I live in NW FL and bream fishing is year round. slower in the colder months on the rivers but there are several lakes available and on a sunny day the north banks are active with bream.
use light tackle #10 or #8 wire hook,split shot about 8-10" up from hook, 6-8lb line and for cork it can be fixed for a depth or when trying to find a bed of fish I like to use a slip cork with extra split shot to get bait on the bottom.
I have caught 3-5lb catfish on this rig . that is a rush