Crappie

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
My wife's been bugging me lately about going crappie fishing... She says it's supposedly good this time of year. I'm saying I don't think so though, because it's still the middle of winter. Anybody out there that can clear this up for me?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Crappie

Crappie fishing in TN is good year round if memory serves me, SgtMaj. All you have to do is find them.

When they move into shallows to spawn is when they are easiest to find, and the slabs (big ones) tend to concentrate in a few places.

Seems to me the spawn is still a few weeks away.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

Water temp typically in the 60's is when crappie spawn.. Still in the 40's and low 50's here in North Ga Lakes

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Late fall through early spring they will be holding in deeper water , ~20-30' , along channels and points with sunken trees/stumps/other structure . Also , mid lake humps are productive .
Here is where a good locater and a chart will pay for themselves .

When the water temps start to climb in late winter/early spring , they will start to move into shallower water , and , start feeding more agressively as they prepare for spawning .

Water temperature is CRITICAL for finding them at this time of year and up to the spawn .
As the water temps rise , they move into bays/coves/creek mouths , tenatively at first .
A day or to of warm sun and mild winds will bring them shallower , but , 1 cold day will put them back down deep .

A couple degrees will make the difference between coming home skunked or , having a nice limit of slabs .

Maribou jigs , tube jigs , twister tails , small spinners , and , minnows , are the best baits . Start small and keep changing colors/patterns untill you find the magic combination . These fish can be finnicky beyond belief 1 minute , and , hit anything they see the next . :confused:
Remember that crappie always look up and adjust your presentation accordingly .
Fish a couple inches too deep and you will be skunked . ;)

StarznBarrz

Seaman Apprentice

thats odd that crappies hang out in cold shallows....they seem to hang out right by the warmer road that crosses the Swift Creek Lake here in Virginia?!

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

This is a great time to go. We fish for them all year in SE Va. Check it out at crappie.com

cbavier

Lieutenant

For God sakes man take her fishing! Crappie or no Crappie! I would give anything if my wife would go fishing with me. She's rather set in front of the TV and watch QVC.
At least you can spend some quality time with her. Fish biting or not!

Up here we still got 18 inches of Ice on the Lakes!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Usually around the end of March to early May around here.The old saying is the Crappie start biting when the Dogwood trees are blooming.
Heck,take her fishing! Mine gets bored after about 30 minutes even if the fish are biting like crazy.....women!:rolleyes:

stephenc8301

Seaman Apprentice

crappie fishing is great here in central california. me and my buddy caught 22 decent size ones in about an hour and a half. one fish after the other. pretty fun.