What did I catch?

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What did I catch?

Looks like a 'Crum' to me. It's a product of a Drum and Carp. Here in Kentucky we have 'Saugeye' too. It's a cross between a Walleye and Sauger. I've seen fish similar to what you have there, and that doesn't look like a pure bred Drum. I've pulled a few of those mixed breeds out of the Ohio on occasion. At any rate he looks very sickly.

gidds

Seaman Apprentice

byproduct of some funky fishsecks...........

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

in wisconsin that is known as a sheephead and no one eats them, but they are actually a delacasy in russia and china, the one you caught is not, that fish hasnt eaten anything for at least six months, maybe it was a female that wanted to look good for the picture and went a little overboard... ive caught hundred of those things, if you want an easy fish to catch and release you cant beat a sheephead, those fish hit hard and fight like no tommorow!! i swear!!!

Barkleylake

Recruit

Yep, it's a drum. I think the population is starting to rise in KY and TN. I've caught three this week on Barkley lake in Ky right next to the TN border.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, I thought a Drum was a saltwater fish family. Here in the NJ saltwater we have Black Drum, Weakfish (Sea trout), Croakers and some other fish of the Drum family.

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yuck...ya maybe shoulda put that thing out of its misery....looks like its hurtin'

Tyme2fish

Commander

A darn ugly drum. I bet you caught it using an Ugly Stick rod!!!;);)

Good_Bottom

Recruit

Here in New York on lake Erie thats a clasic Sheepshead/Freshwater Drum. A very comon fish here, I have caught several hundred usualy 3 to 4 lbs with lunkers around the 10 lb range. They are fun to catch but thats about all they are good for.I can remember back when I was younger cracking their skuls open to get the "stones" out of them.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

We catch them all the time up here in Missouri. That is one sick looking drum. A healthy one will put a good fight but other than that, they usually hit the shore or get turned into cut bait.

CATransplant

Admiral

Nothing wrong with freshwater drum. On light tackle, they put up a good fight...no question about it.

And they're good eating. Most of the folks who say they're not haven't tried 'em. You filet them just like a big bluegill, then fry 'em up just like you do any other fish. Tasty, they are. The 1-3 pounders are the best eating.

Now, tie into a 10 lb. drum on your light tackle, and you'll have a story to remember. Want more? They can grow upwards of 30 lb.

ricksrster

Commander

Looks like a 'Crum' to me. It's a product of a Drum and Carp. Here in Kentucky we have 'Saugeye' too. It's a cross between a Walleye and Sauger. I've seen fish similar to what you have there, and that doesn't look like a pure bred Drum. I've pulled a few of those mixed breeds out of the Ohio on occasion. At any rate he looks very sickly.
This is across between a bass and a drum. It is called a bass drum:

Drum.jpg

thats deffinatly one ugly fish. ive never heard of a freshwater drum here in va so to me it looks like cross between a fall fish and a walleye.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is definitely an anorexic sheepshead/drum.

bigbucky75

Recruit

Definantly a drum. Got a lot of them in the canal system by me. Can be fishing forf everything else and always seem to come up with atleast one drum.