What did I catch?

sbulla

Seaman
Check the pic and see if you can identify this fish. I caught this from Douglas Lake here in east TN and the nearest match I can find on the "Fishes of TN" web site is of a "Gaspergoo".

Never seen one before. It wasn't a fun catch...thought I'd snagged a limb, 'cause it felt like pulling in dead weight with hardly any fight. ;-)

Sonny

Attachments

• fsh?9-19-07.jpg
    fsh?9-19-07.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0

gonefishie

Commander
Re: What did I catch?

very strange indeed! looks like a drum with a carp mouth.

rndn

Commander

My first thought is that it appears like the picture has been modified. The body of the fish changes shape and color right behind the head. It also looks like it may have been dead in the water for a few days. If you're truelly not playing a joke then I'd have to guess some type of a drum.

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

That sure looks like a freshwater Drum.

sbulla

Seaman

My first thought is that it appears like the picture has been modified. The body of the fish changes shape and color right behind the head. It also looks like it may have been dead in the water for a few days. If you're truelly not playing a joke then I'd have to guess some type of a drum.

Nope, the pic hasn't been modified. That's it, in all it's butt ugly form.

I thought it was dead when I was bringing it in but, when I was removing the hook, it fought a bit and swam off (slowly)when I released it.

I caught it on a 1.5" balsa diving minnow lure (two treble hooks) just off the shoreline at a fairly good rate of retrieval so, it had to be able to move to get it.

Two casts later I cought a good size smallmouth on the same lure...now, THAT was a good fight! ;-)

Sonny

FLATHEAD

Commander

I would immediately throw that lure overboard. No need to ever catch a fish that butt ugly again

sbulla

Seaman

I would immediately throw that lure overboard. No need to ever catch a fish that butt ugly again

Heck no! It's one of my favorite "Any-kind-of-fish-will-hit-it" lures! I've caught bass, bluegill, striper, and a few I couldn't identify (including this fugly thang) on that little lure. But, still the Roostertail is at the top of my favorites 'cause, I even caught a 6lb catfish on one of those little 1/8oz wonders!

Sonny

walleyehed

Admiral

That is a common fresh-water drum that is either very sick, old and/or dying of starvation or an illness.

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

fresh water drum. Very common in TX lakes. Boney like a carp but doesn't taste as good. Didn't yous it for luck????

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry about that Should have read Didn't you kiss it for luck??

CRCain

Cadet

Freshwater drum.

They are apparently common in Douglas Lake.

77 240 SR

Cadet

Thats definatly a SheepHead scourge of Lake Erie. Best thing to do with them is make sure they hit someting HARD on the way back in to the drink.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

should have fed it a little before throwing it back

sbulla

Seaman

should have fed it a little before throwing it back

Well, I didn't have any live bait aboard and it sure as heck wasn't getting any of my ham and cheese sandwich, or the crackers, or the banana...or the beer!

Sonny

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

It's a drum.

If you cut it open I think you'd find it was full of worms. I've caught several bass that looked emiciated like that.

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats a what is called a "gaspergoo" or "goo" in louisiana...its is very common down in La.....its a freshwater drum, they good to eat, but that one looks alil sickly...

"Aplodinotus grunniens, or freshwater drum is also locally known as "gaspergoo", "gaspergou", "goo", and "gou". It is a freshwater drum that ranges from Canada south to the Mississippi River drainage system and into Mexico. In Louisiana, this fish occurs most commonly in large rivers and lakes with the greatest number found in the shallow areas of the turbid Red and Mississippi rivers. This species is a good food fish yet is not very important to the sport fishing industry. It is, however, frequently netted by commercial fisherman and sold under the local names listed above."

Gaspergoo.jpg