What Type of Trolling Device for slowing down?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Hi Everyone;

A little survey here if you would.

What type of device or method do you use to slow the boat down when trolling, and what are the pros and cons of this device? What was the cost? Would you buy another?

Thanks in advance!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What Type of Trolling Device for slowing down?

I don't use anything to defeat outboard thrust, John.

I use wind drift for very low speeds, electric motor for a little more and engine at some set, low speed for more than that.

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]I drag a bucket behind the boat, sometimes 2 buckets!!

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Dunaruna;

Thanks for the input, and i just love the by-line! You guys are great down under.

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

I have seen drift socks at Bass Pro but have never tried one. Same concept as the bucket I guess.

michiganmarty

Seaman

If you are not going to use a kicker motor, you will have
to use the buckets, or a trolling plate. I assume you
know what trolling plate is? There are automatic ones,
and manual ones.

I'd go for the kicker if I was you, and if you fish any
moving water be sure to get a bigger one or you'll never
make headway upstream.

I never heard of anyone using a drift-sock
(a.k.a. drift anchor) for trolling. I don't think they will
live up to the torture of trolling speeds. Drift socks
are made for slowing you down in the wind, with no engine running.

I've seen some people drag their buckets right along
beside the boat. But that could scar up your boat finish.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Have used a drift sock a few times, works well if set up right.
Can be used to slow down your drift, or slow down your troll.

Backtroll into the wind if the waves are not too big.

Forward troll into the wind if the waves are bigger, but keeping on course is difficult.

If you are gonna forward troll with the wind, you need a plate or sock to slow you down.

Advantage of a drift sock over a bucket, is that if you set it up right, you can release it in a second, to get it out of the way, when landing/fighting a big fish.

So, I back troll or use a sock.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Is a kicker motor used when the big motor can't idle down slow enough? And what is backtrolling. All the new Lunds advertise that they are best for backtrolling. Is it where you troll backward?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Thanks for the input guys!

What is the price in the market for these items, and what is your opinion on the pros and Cons.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Hi Guys;

We recently inroduced Smart Tabs ProTroller Series which allows you to drop the Smart Tabs to a vertical position (streight down) when trolling to act as brakes.

Check this web site (iboats. com marine store under Smart Tabs) and our site at http://www.nauticusinc.com/ProTroller.htm for more info.

Your comments Please.

crunch

Commander

I knew that was coming...

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

Your comments Please.

Nice idea, but still attached to "dumb" tabs. Maybe you could become an Iboats MarineStore vendor and get a better response, this isn't really the place to troll for business. :/

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

John IS an iboats Marine Store vendor, and a big supporter of iboats.
Iboats and Nauticus are good business friends.

The ProTroller looks interesting.
Glad to see you guys are still thinking up new ideas. :)

Backtrolling: trolling backwards, the stern will slow you down.
Some boats are better suited for this, they will have a large splashwell to catch the waves that come over the transom.

Bucket and rope: free to $10

Trolling plates, $40 to $100
Trolling or drift sock, $29 to $129

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Hi Curmudgeon;

I understand that this sounds as though we are promoting a product, and in some sence we are. However; this site has been a major source of information for not only the individuals but the vendors as well. No matter what we vendors think, engineer, develop, or conceive it is the end user that we serve who will pass final judgement as to the value and acceptability of our products.

That said, I am looking for your input, and I try not to step on anyones toes, or abuse the forum.

On a side note, You do not seem to be a trim tab proponent, may I ask why? Not looking for an argument, just trying to find better ways to project our message. Your input will be appreciated.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I tried a Happy Troller a number of years ago. I had it laying around and for the life of me could not remember where I got it from. Anyway, it worked fine, but I ended up getting a kicker. I can troll at whatever speed I want and it is easier that dealing with socks and buckets and trolling plates.

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

.. You do not seem to be a trim tab proponent, may I ask why?

You must have misconstrued my reference to "dumb tabs" "Dumb" tabs are those which are not adjustable on the fly, vice those which can be tweaked in response to actual conditons.

Trim tabs a great asset when employed appropriately. Though I've not had a need for 'em previously, I purchased a set of Bennetts two weeks ago, and will install 'em over the winter. As I said, your troller probably has great value, which would be even better if on electric/hydrauilic tabs.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Curmudgeon;

Thanks for the reply!

I assume you understand tha Smart Tabs do adjust. They are regulated by the water presure. (automatically)

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

drift sock...

i used it to fish a cove in windy weather, it was going very well, and i was moving at the perfect pace... then the sock grabbed ahold of a tree and ripped a big hole in it, then it just seemd to not work as well...

i finally ended up buying a minnkota trolling motor with the auto pilot feature, with the built in compass... its great, i just tell how fast i want to go, and point it in the direction i want, and it will stay on that heading untill i change it manually. it makes it possible to fish any waters here in az, and is awesome for the rivers too... i just point it upstream , and set the heading, put it to full blast and now im just slowly coasting down the river.

workd great for me, and ill be a minnkota guy for life, and makes regular trolling great too, now i just set the speed i want and the direction, and now i can just sit in the back of the boat with the poles while the trolling motor does its thing up front...

so back on point... the socks are ok, and seemed to work well, but i bought the 30$ one, and it wasnt built to last, i probably couldve spent more to get a better one, but, im cheap..lol..lol..

later

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

zuke1;

I would not say your cheap -- the Minkota with auto pilot can not be cheap. Neither are kicker motors.

Sometimes the manufacturers need to talk directly to the consumers to see if they have something valuable or not.

ProTrollers are a $35.00 premium over the Standard Smart Tabs, which we feel is a very good value, however that must be left up to the consumer to determine.

Do they serve the consumer properly is the question?

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

I assume you understand tha Smart Tabs do adjust. They are regulated by the water presure. (automatically)..

True enough, except they only adjust to water pressure, not operator selected positioning based on variable loading or water conditions. Would love for Bennett to come out with something similar to your ProTroller ... :love: