best striper lures

bubbakat

Captain
well fellows and ladies need to update my lures in the tackle box I need your input on the best stripper lures in use today.<br />don't want advertisement I want tried and true opinions

FLATHEAD

Commander
Re: best striper lures

Bubbakat, I take it you are fishin them in a lake. What we do is wait till evening when they go on the feed and chase the bait fish to the top, you can see the little buggers runnin for there lives. The Striper's run in schools and will hang for a while in one spot. We cast those shallow running jointed rapallas in gold and white and fire tiger, also just a good old stick bait like a spook works well too. Some times you will get two or three right in a row, sometimes all you get is frustrated! During the day trolling a deep running crankbait through schools of shad works sometimes. <br /><br />Good luck and keep em tight.

aspeck

Staff member

Usually use live trout for strippers here, but if lookiing at lures, a white 3/4 oz bucktail jig with a 5 inch snatrix trailer, or a big rat-l-trap in silver/black or blue/black.<br /><br />The jig works great with the schoolers also - gets below the smaller ones that are beating the surface and down to the big ole smart ones that are waiting for the fish parts to fall past their noses!

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i've used live trout with great success, but is'nt it illegal? i was at a lake one day, years ago! they had stocked trout that day. i noticed big stripers comming in close to shore chasing the trout. so thats where i got the idea to try live trout. these days, if i go for stripers, i try to find something that looks like a trout.

tailgunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here on Cape Cod, I use Striper Strike poppers, Hopkins lure, Deadly **** (blue) and something called a Beach Bomber (basically a black swimmer with a ball bearing inside that clicks as it swims). Dark lures at night, silver (Hopkins, Deadly ****) during the day.<br /><br />Live bait? People here use eels.

tailgunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Interesting. The second word of the Deadly lure is d i c k.

LadyFish

Admiral

Bubba, its been awhile since I fished for stripers but I always used a Bass Buster and had great luck. <br /><br />One day I even wore it to the hospital hanging from my nostril. :rolleyes:

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

LOL i got a nice visual of that! :D :D

crab bait

Captain

the best lure for 'strippers' ( thats what you typed.)<br /><br />is gotta be neat an personable appearance ,,a little after shave , fresh breath, an the number one lure for strippers OF ALL TIME is ::::<br /><br />A FAT WALLET...

LadyFish

Admiral

doggie.gif

bubbakat

Captain

thanks guys and gals for the input and esp. crab bait for the heads up :eek: will use spell check next time :D :D

aspeck

Staff member

In PA it is legal to use trout if you buy them or they are legal size. If you buy them, keep the receipt.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Do you use crab bait to catch strippers???

bubbakat

Captain

Thanks jtexas I have fished lake texoma several times for stripers but it has been about fifteen years. Need to get out that way again.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />If you want 40 pound stripers and up,there is Race point,Nauset inlet and Billings Gate shoals.<br />We fish the shoals with a "tube" with a seaworm on the end,or a heavy jig.A tube is a long(about 16 inches)piece of tubing with wire inside and hook and worm on the bottom.The jig is a heavy lead one with long stiff hair, resembling a squid.<br />These are used drifting or trolling over 40 feet of water on 25 pound wire lines.Both are jigged in jumping patterns.<br />On Race Point and the Nauset Inlet we use sand eel by day and live eel at night.Live bait is much liked by dog fish and bluefish however.<br />Sometimes we use an umbrella rig.This umbrella shaped contraption gives the impression of a school of bait fish with one lagging behind.This is trolled.

Jwill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your looking for huge stripers some guys out in California troll big A.C. plugs. Get one that matches a fish in your lake.<br />If your looking for numbers I do well throwing white 1/2 oz bucktail jigs with a clear chartruese trailer.<br />A Super Spook works great for topwater.<br />In the rivers you can't beat a clown colored suspending rattlin Rogue.<br />Flukes work well in lakes and rivers.<br />White 5" gitzit tubes work well also.

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

9" Sluggos in colors that match the forage are good when fish are bustin' bait on or near the top.