best striper lures

jasperastro

Seaman Apprentice
Re: best striper lures

Live Shad when in season....free line or under cork, set at level of fish.<br />We have both Hybrids and the big boys here at Sam Rayburn. Schooling at generation below the dam, and above the dam. <br />When shad is unavailable, look for a rubber bait called, Mr WIGGLY, Pearl White. Look like oversized shad, use 1/4 to 1/2 oz jig head and hang on!!<br />These are proven on both Rayburn and Toledo bend.<br />Mr WIGGLY is made in Illinois somewere, not sure exactly. They come in many colors , but the pearl white is the best.......jas....

mattttt25

Commander

umbrella rigs with various sized shads, parachute rigs, bucktails, large spinners.<br /><br />for live bait, bunker or razor clams.

bubbakat

Captain

This is very good and you guys and gals keep them comming

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

trolling wiggle warts in magnum size. the hot pink ones work around here. They are made by storm. Also casting broken back rebbels in at the levey breaks work very well in the sacramento delta area.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

the most fun catching stripers I ever had was with a guide on Texoma using pencil poppers . Schooling stripers had trapped a school of shad against the windward side of a rocky bank. You reel as fast as you can while shaking your rod tip up & down making as much commotion as possible until a big striper nails it. Kept it up for nearly an hour. Very exciting!

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jay Williams>>>What do they call HUGE stripers out there on the West Coast???<br /><br />Out here on Long Island>>>seems we get a 60+ lbs fish a few times a year, and fish in the 35-50lbs are quite common.<br />In MONTAUK POINT, LONG ISLAND, NY the perfered lure is trolling PARACHUTE rigs with a red/white Pork strip. NEVER FAILS!!!

Jwill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Our stripers in California seem to top out around 50 pounds here and those are rare. Our striper run in the Sacramento/San Juaquin Delta tidal river system doesn't have the number of stripers like it used to before the state started pumping our water to southern califonia. I think one of the biggest stripers caught in the delta was 66# and that was years back. 40's are caught every year but I don't recall one over 50# being caught anytime recently. The largemouth bass fishing has improved dramatically which is a big +.<br />The stripers migrate from the ocean up into our river systems which are probably 75-100 miles inland every summer.<br />Catching a 10-30 pound striper in a fast moving river on 15# line and a jerkbait is a thrill.<br />The water is clear and the stripers are super smart and weary. You can often time watch 15-20 pound stripers follow your lure during the retrieve and than smack it. Some of the best fishing trips I've ever been on has been for these stripers.<br />I've never trolled large swimbaits for stripers and I'm not even sure if guys do it in the delta. I've heard of guys using that technique in lakes and doing well.<br />I generally don't troll for fish cuz I'm a cast and crank type guy.<br />I'll have to do some research on your umbrella rig since I've never heard of it. <br />When you troll that rig is the water clear, stained or muddy? Are you trying to emulate shad or some other forage type bait?

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seems like the fish don't much care which coast there on>>>same thing here as fars as the migration inland!!! and the use of top water crank baits. We do alot of striper fishing here in the coastal LONG ISLAND waters>>>back bays and inshore mostly. Lots of productive technecs. <br />Live lineing with shad, or bunker (manheden)>>bunker chunking, clam bellys & chum ect...<br /> A favorite casting lure is the A'SALT, also the Crockidials and DEADLY D i c k seem to work well. We troll unbrellas of tube or shad too.<br />As far as the PARACHUTE rig>>>its a type of bucktail>>>heavy leadhead with a long set of colored bucktail hairs, half of which is seperated and pulled forward with a tight band. You have to actively jig it while trolling>>>it replicates the pulsing of a squid I think. Just imagine a parachute openeing and closing over and over>>thats what it looks like. Trolling In the areas just off Montauk Point, the water is usually very clear. But as with all coastal waters that changes with conditions. It is the perfered CHARTER BOAT way of getting the fares onto the STRIPER MEAT!!! The only thing is you have to troll LOW & SLOW!!! ;)

Ralph 123

Captain

When I fish for Salt Water Stripers I usually use bait - chunks of Herring or mackerel. They work the best. We use fish finders (a rig that you put a weight on that settles to the bottom and allows the bait to float up off the bottom) I also will just float the bait w/o any weight. It depends where the electronic fish finder shows the cows. My biggest hook last year was from top floating.<br /><br />The ultimate mehod is live-lining eels. There was a study done that shows stripers have a predatory response to eels. They will strike at them no matter what - they have shown stripers full of food will still strike at an eel every time. <br /><br />rolmops method is also tried and true here partly becuase it is like an eel IMHO. Kastmasters, DD, etc., etc. are also widely used here. I've never hooked a striper w/o some bait used in some way.

gaugeguy

Captain

I use live mackerel below a balloon, and I have caught some huge cows. Like Ralph said, live eels are a great bait, but I won't touch the nasty things.<br /><br />I caught a 49" soaker this passed summer and as I was removing the hook, an eel actually came out of the fishes mouth. I dropped the fish on the deck and was hopping around like a woman who saw a mouse. The eel got away and my buddy was pissed because he couldn't use the eel for bait.