Muskie

mg5000

Cadet
Does anybody know the difference between a Northern Muskie and a Great Lakes Muskie?<br /><br />--mg5000

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Muskie

Huh?<br /><br />A true musky is a purebred, solid/mottled coloring.<br /><br />A hybred (tiger) musky, is a cross between a northern pike, and a true musky; it has vertical stripes. Tigers grow a little faster, and weigh more per inch. They occur naturally in some lakes, and were/are planted in other lakes. <br /><br />Check out these pictures.<br /><br /> http://www.muskyhunter.com/photos.htm <br /><br />A real good picture of a tiger on page 2.<br />A picture of strange looking musky from Lake St Clair. Different sub-species?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have caught three distinctly different patterned musky: barred, solid (sometimes called a silver) and spotted. <br /><br />Leech Lake muskys seem to be mainly the spotted phase, while the LOTW musky are usually barred. Same species. <br /><br />I have been told that the different phases occur for the same reasons that some cats are black, some white and most patterned. All cats.<br /><br />I have also caught one tiger, the hybrid. What a spectacularly beautiful fish!!<br /><br />So, there are several subspecies and there are hybrids, which may be sterile.<br /><br />Any musky is a great catch. :)

gonfishn

Commander

A while ago when we were talking musky I pulled up a site which showed different species..I think there was at least five or six different ones..Any one know how I can find thread to post past thread.<br /><br />The Tiger Musky is the most sought when i go North..As Jb said any Musky is a good catch..But he forgot to say you should release these warriors and let them get to that 50 inch range..Take a picture and let em get to that record size that we all wish for..

gonfishn

Commander

Thanks NoSleep...The clear Muskie I think is a rare one..Most of the Muskies here are the Barred Species..Guess it depends on where your at..A while back Flahthead was saying how many Tigers are in his area but will not tell me where..lol

FLATHEAD

Commander

gonfishn , I reckon youll have to come out here next spring and I will show you where they are at :D