Livewell question

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer
OK, do they make portable 12 volt livewells? I have been entertaining the idea of buying an Ice Chest, hooking up a 12 volt water circulator, to use as a livewell. Any tips on building one?<br /><br />Or is this one of those, it is cheaper to buy one, than the trouble of making it, deals? <br /><br />Also, where would you look for one?

tailgunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Livewell question

I've seen lots of home made versions of these using exactly what you said or even a 5 gallon bucket with lid.<br /><br />Try here to see them for sale:<br /> http://tinyurl.com/sohz

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Tailgunner, I guess this shows that I have no experience. I was talking about a container to hold the fish I caught in. That way at the end of the day, if you only catch one, etc. you could release him, instead of having to come home and clean 1 fish. Don't mind cleaning a mess of them. Maybe a container well with a divider, that would keep the live bait (which I have not been using) seperate from the caught fish?

walleyehed

Admiral

Cabelas and BassProShops both have a "kit" to install recirc. systems in common coolers at very reasonable prices.........I could sell you one but that would be against the rules, unless they would allow me to do it at cost only-no profit for forum members only?????????????? :) :) :D

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Walleyehed, thanks, I really appreciate the gesture, the last thing I want to do is get anyone in trouble, or go breaking the rules. <br /><br />I know both Cabelas, and have a Bayou Pro Shop, within 4 miles of my house. I could just pop over there and check them out! <br /><br />Was really curious to generate, conversation on weather it was worth making your own, or just buying one, and curious to know if anyone uses one, and how well they work. My boat does not have a live well on it, and I am tinkering with getting set up with a plug in, fill up, use and take off system, so it will be out of the way during Party trips. <br /><br />Any feedback on anyone using these! Possible future troubles? Things to look out far?

FLATHEAD

Commander

There are a couple of guys that fish where I do that have smallish jon boats. They use those homemade livewell's. Never really took a close look at them though. From what I can see it is just an airated plastic cooler. <br /><br />On the downside, At one tourney this summer when it was pretty hot the lunker LM was brought in ,in one of those coolers dead from the heat, I would think on hot days you would need to make sure to exchange the water.

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

walmart have a portable livewell pump. just put it in an icechest, bucket, bathtub, etc. and hook up to 12volt battery. sell for about 20$ use one in my 10ft bass boat with icechest. works great. <br /><br />you can look at it and make one yourself. it is basically a bilge pump with a pipe sticking up about 12 inches with a cap on it. it has holes where the water shoots back down. could build one for about 12$ have built 3 more for friends.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Flahthead, will keep an eye on things so far as the heat, no matter which type I get. Just exactly the type of tips I was talking about.<br /><br />Wikelam, How does the Walmart brand work in comparison to the ones you made. Do the Bildge <br />Pump types blow harder, work better, and draw more battery juice? Which size pump did you decide to go with? Also what approximate size Ice Chest, is used with what size pump? I do plan to check some types out Thursday. I am off Wednesday and Thursday, but will end up spending most of Wednesday in Court.<br /><br />I would guess you'd have to crack the lid open some also for air right? I mean circulating the water is ok, but you have to get some fresh air, right?

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

The ones i made work better. i used a bigger pump 750gph i think. as for the opening the lid, i usually do not let it stay shut for long, always putting fish in it. :D :D <br /><br />they should be big enuf for any size ice chest. bigger ice chest bigger or more fish.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, thanks MJS22, that is great help! Above and Beyond the call of helping a fellow boater out. I appreciate that. :D <br />Hope I can return the favor someday.<br /><br />GodsBeast

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've seen those at K-Mart for about $20.00.<br /><br /> ...Bob in Calif...

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

as mjs22 did, i did the same thing. i took a plastic 55gallon drum and cut it in half. put a bilge pump connected to pvc that dumps back in at the top through caps on the pvs with holes in them. then put a wooden top on it with a hinged door. this is about 25-30 gallons. it will hold all i need it to. i put it in the back of my truck and run it off the trucks battery. i use this when i go pond fishing or in the river when we go noodling during the summer. also use it for bait. have kept shad alive for about 8 hours (with additives for keeping fish in tanks). works great if ya need one that big.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you are going to use it in the heat of the summer months, you need a way to get fresh water into it, not just circulate it.<br />It will get warm and still hurt the fish.<br /><br />Plum you a thru transom fitting that you can plug off when not in use and get you a regular areator to hook to it and then to a big cooler and then put another thru transom pipe thru it at the top and then reduce it down to where you can put a quick disconnect on it to the areator.<br />That way you can take it out of the boat when you want to, plus it will circulate the water good.<br /><br />Well, ya ask about homemade.<br />I have done this and it works great.<br />Have not lost a fish yet to heat.<br /><br />Just my .02 worth.<br />Now I will shut up.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

SBN, NO, don't shut up, that is exactly the type of advise I wanted. All ideas welcome, have not made a plan, but considering all ideas. <br /><br />I do want something portable that I can remove from the boat, when going on a partying trip. I would also like to have something that would not only circulate the water in the livewell, but also change it over, also.<br /><br />The main reason, is if catching a fish early in the day, and not catching any more. Keeping the fish healty so I could turn him loose, so he'd survive. If I knew he wouldn't survive, I'd feel obligated to bring him home and clean him. <br /><br />So love to hear more about your system! <br /><br />GodsBeast