Which heater

Honey-Do

Seaman Apprentice
Hi y'all,I want to get a portable heater for winter striper trolling on the Chesapeake. I have a 24ft boat with a full wrap enclosure that snaps/zips on. Does anyone have any experience with the propane or alchohol units. Looking for experienced advice on what to buy that works good on a boat, knocks the chill out of the cabin, and is safe. Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which heater

No propane on boats!!!<br /><br />Heavier than air, settles in low spots, then goes BOOOM.

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Inboard powered boats have a safety issue with the possibility of leaking propane building up in the bilge, but gasoline is more dangerous. Diesel or kerosene burning heaters are probably the safest and most economical to use but expensive to buy.There are serious safety concerns with any heat scource in a boat& shortcuts can be deadly. That said,I use a Mr. Heater & love it. Outboard powered boat with the cabin door and-or a window open.

aspeck

Staff member

How 'bout a little ceramic electric heater. Those things throw out a lot of heat and are pretty energy efficient. Since you are trolling, that will help keep the battery up, all you need is a good inverter to match the size of the heater and the heater.

Honey-Do

Seaman Apprentice

Hey 45_red, thanks for the advice, other friends have mentioned the Mr. Heater "Buddy", saying it was ideal for my needs, I'm outboard powered and self bailing cockpit with lots of ventilation, maybe I'll try one.