Never again will I.........

Matt O

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Buy a cheap reel. I finally broke down and bought a GOOD baitcast reel. Oh my goodness, what a difference, its like night and day in everyway. I can cast lighter tackle that I never could before, can cast other baits that I have thrown before better and more accurate without "Whipping it" I am a firm beleiver in you get what you pay for in reels now. But the biggest question I have is, how do you decide between the million that are out there. I fished with a guide a few weeks ago and just loved the reels he had. So I bought one, but if I had never thrown one I wouldn't have known just how good it was. So how do you choose? I talked to Bass Pro about why they don't have some spooled up with a casting station to test and get a feel for what you will be buying. No good answer given, but I have an idea of why they don't. Anyway I bought a Shimano Chonarch 100A and I love it. My fishing buddy is now saving for one he too loves it.<br /><br />Matt

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Never again will I.........

I will always buy a cheap reel. Just in case a friend wants to go fishing but needs to borrow a rod and reel. :D

rwise

Captain

I buy most of mine at garage/yard/estate sales $3 to $5, ok I gave $25 for one but I really wanted it. The new rod and reals, well I only use them. I'll let about anyone use the others! I try hard to buy only American made stuff new, got to keep a few jobs here!<br />Richard

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

matt they are a great reel I have 3 of them. I suggest that you run 8 lb vanish on it and wow you will se how amazing it is then

KillerJello

Seaman

When i was up north this summer, my friend that came along (needed help moving crap out of our house on platte lake to bring back to flint) wanted to go fly fishing with me one morning... I wouldnt let him use my good equipment, He always seems to break my stuff.. I gave him some cheapo store bought flys and store bought rod... I used my good hand made (by my grandfather) and my good very expensive flies... he got mad :) <br /><br />same thing with my normal reels and rods when i go out on the lake, i dont let anyone use my good equipment, i give them the cheap k-mart stuff. cant trust anyone to take care of someone elses stuff anymore..