Limited out two days in a row shrimping.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer
My first trip shrimping over bait, and we limited out friday, and saturday evenings, in less than two hours. I now have a freezer full of fresh shrimp. Man do they taste good, when they have not been laying around in the sun all day, before getting to market. :D :D :D :D

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Limited out two days in a row shrimping.

what kind of limit is there. by the lb or count.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

In South Carolina, the baited shrimp season is from sept 12, to end of november. Only one person in the boat must have a permit. You are alouwed to catch one 48 quart cooler full (level with the top) with heads on, or a 29 quart with the heads off per boat per day (regardless of how many persons, or licenses in the boat), with very intense enforcement, so you do not dare exceed the limit. If you are stopped at a roadblock on the way home (we travel 200 miles to the shrimping spot) you can only have three days catch in your posession. They are very strict, and usually you will be checked at least once (this particular trip we were not). I witnessed one fellow in a boat, jumping up and down on top of a cooler full of shrimp, trying to cram in some more. When you get your cooler full, you can pour cold water on them (with the drain open) and as the cold water runs down through them, bounce the cooler on the deck, they will shrink, allowing you to make another cast or two with the net. On our last cast of the net, we filled the cooler, and had to throw a couple of dozen back in when the cooler ws filled. Man you never tasted "GOOD" shrimp, till you eat fresh caught ones. The ones you get at stores, markets, and even off the big trawlers at the docks, are not fresh, by the time you get them. If at a store, or market, those "fresh shrimp" may have been caught up too three weeks ago, and even laid for a while in the hot sun. The wife and I had shrimp and grits, and grilled shrimp from the George Forman grill ffor Sunday evening meal, and they had not been out of the ocean a whole day, and were iced very good since removed from the ocean. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

I usually shrimp in the Charleston Harbor. I went up to Cherry Grove for a Bachleor party last weekend thinking I would do the same in HOG Inlet. When I went to the bait store and asked for fish meal he just gave me a blank looked and asked " you aren't planning on shrimping here are you?" I knew then that my shrimping day was done. Unfortunatly my wedding is comming up and I'm not going to be able to go this year. I miss those times. We usually have three people working the boat. One throwing, One driving, and one with a snow shovel in the back scooping all the shrimp that have been caught on the previous cast in the cooler. Some of the best times I've had. Especially when the tide is out at night. :D

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

sounds like good eat'n. have had fresh ones once before, but not that fresh.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Lakeman, you got me all worked up. I can just <br />taste them now!! I haven't had an opportunity<br />in years to go prawn'n but I can still taste the<br />sweetness of fresh prawns in my memory. :cool:

Hasbeen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man you really know how to hurt a guy! I love shrimp but rarly eat them because of the price here! We have crab though but I dont like it as well as shrimp!! We don1t have huricains either!<br /><br />Hasbeen

ebbtide176

Commander

yea, what 'hasbeen' said! - i've been to hunting island and heard of all the shrimp caught on the SC coast. man o man i needa fall trip over there one of these days :) i caught 2 accid in a crab trap and they were at least 8" long

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

AGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!<br /><br />Lakeman, you BASTARRD!!!<br /><br />I am literally DROOLING at the thought of grilled shrimp iced down an hour ago, shrimp and grits, never had it BUT **** I WANT SOME!!!!<br /><br />Im thinkin fresh cream, light salt butter, pepper, hit it with some old bay and a shot of tobasco<br /><br />Freshfields has a slightly coarser cut of grits, course, I like to use hominy and a coffee mill, but Im real picky bout grits<br /><br />any laws against a steamer on the boat??? I could feast down a mess o shrimp with a few beers, lol, unless they gots x ray machines checkin yer belly<br /><br />hmmmmmmm<br /><br />bring the wife ... let her clean the shrimp, head, legs tail and shell<br /><br />heads off! lol<br /><br /> :p

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

Well, the Grandson and I were down to the coast friday, and saturday and limited out on shrimp both evenings, We brought back teo 48 quart of shrimp, a 48 qt cooler full apiece, our possesion limit. They are all in the freezer now, except what we had for supper Sunday evening, supper yesterday evening, and what we are going to have for breakfast this morning, as soon as the wife finishes the paper. For breakfast this morniong we will have cheese grits with shrimp. "H'MMMM GOOD". :D :D :D :D