"we slayed em"

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
went to santee and slayed the catfish labor day weekend! didnt fish past 8pm on any of the three days, did'nt need to!<br />first day: 1-35lb'er, 3-20lbers, 1-15lb'er, 2-10lb'ers, and 6-5lbs & under all blues.<br />second day: 1-25lber, 3-15lbers, 1-10lber, and 4-5lbs & under all blues except one 4lb channel cat.<br />third day: 4-10lbers, 2-5lbs & under all blues.<br />not bad! had my line broke 3 times (80lb catfish fusion) it was great weather, about 95f 60% humidity, and no rain, & not alot of boating traffic, not on lake marion anyways. you gotta love it!

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer
Re: "we slayed em"

Catfish, what kind of water were you fishing in, and what for bait were you using?? :confused: :D

catfish1

lakeman, we were drift fishing in 30ft of water with whole herring when we had wind. if there was no wind we bobber fished along dropoffs with cut herring. <br />we fished mainly in front of the spillway, to the left of it is where we were getting into the big ones. the wind was blowing from the direction of harrys so we were drifting toward randolphs along the dam. we started our drifts in front of the DNR station and drifted till we got somewhat close to the stumpfields, after i made one drift i would change by going a little farther from the dam on the next dirft. the wind was rageing in the late afternoon, producing 2 1/2 ft waves but even at the high speed we were still hooking up. but i'll tell ya, when they bite at that drift speed, a 10lb'er will feel like 30lbs. they were biting very aggressively, many times swallowing the hook on one bite, i was not used to that type of aggression when drift fishing at the speed we were drifting, usually if you hook one at that speed it will be in the lip. :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you slew a slew o' 'em, Catfish.<br /><br />Congratulations! :)

catfish1

thanks JB! it was alot of fun, i'm looking forward to the next time. :D

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Catfish, sounds like on of those days you will remember for a long time to come.<br /><br />I went out Saturday and caught nothing. I was the only person on the lake for a while, then another boat came in and caught the big zip also. <br /><br />Was a nice day to be in the boat though. the carp were active, but not feeding also. I had one almost jump in the boat. Had to be close to 10 pounds. Saw a lot of the carp in 3 inches of water. Their backs were sticking out of the water. <br /><br />I am wondering whether them shutting off the flow of water through the dam was the reason. With no rain water here is getting scarce.

catfish1

scoop i always look forward to my next trip to santee, as a matter of fact. i'm seriously considering moving to columbia sc next year, which is only 1hr from the lake.<br />the best part of my trip was that i took a friend that had never been there, and has never caught anything over 5lbs, and i put him on the best fishing he'd ever had. if you coulda seen the excitement he was displaying, it was cool!

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

that exitement alone is worth more than the size of the fish caught.

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

catfish1, I live just outside of Columbia. Great place to be. Have you ever tried the upper part of lake, ( flats). Great fishing up there also.

catfish1

upper part? i dont know what the upper part is. if i had a channel marker # to go from i could tell ya if i've tried it, i do have a GPS lake map of both lakes.<br />when you say flats, what do you mean. if its real shallow i probably have'nt tried it. i like to stay away from shallows, because as you know, it can get real shallow in a hurry at the santee lakes.