catfish or bass tricks???

Sunnyone

Cadet
Anybody ever heard of the dog food/ bread method?? Where ya sink them and let them deteriorate and attract the fish?? Did it work for ya, if so?? Know of any other tricks??

gonfishn

Commander
Re: catfish or bass tricks???

Set a continer of liver out in the hot sun for a few days..hold nose and pour..to catch whiskers I usually use Shrimp or free lance a nice size Gold fish....

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sunnyone, check your states fishing regs. it is illegal to chum in many states, however it usually wouldnt stop me! :D many people use dog food "i have" but i use the cheap stuff in the can, it usually is the stinkyest. just take a screwdriver and punch a bunch of holes in it.

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

i use dogfood as a feed source for my boss. i feed them in his ponds about once a week. after a while they just come to bank when you are near. then if you throw a hook in with some dough bait or something it takes about 5 seconds to catch one. <br /><br />if done for a period of time i would think you could attract some fish on bigger water.

Sunnyone

Cadet

Thank you so much!! I appreciate all of your help. <br /><br />Sunny

JJ57103

Seaman

Yes, in Nebraska, Ia, and SD, it's legal to chum. Years back, when my son was still living at home, we used to run set lines for catfish. We'd take a can of ALPO, tie the line to it, punch a dozen holes in each end of the can with a screwdriver, and use the can itself for the weight. In the morning, the can was empty, but the hooks baited with shrimp or cutbait weren't. :D

rwise

Captain

the bait shop I use most keeps the dead minnows, bags and freezes them. I use them around my lines and canned cat food! Works great!<br />Richard

Sunnyone

Cadet

thank you so much guys, and yes I am in Nebraska so it is legal to chum!! Wonderful. thank you!!

Skinnywater

Commander

OK, I'll give ya one. It may be an original to, since I thought of it on my own and haven't heard of anyone else doing it since.<br /><br />As a kid growing up on a lake in West Central Florida, I'd use a half a slice of raw bacon for catfish and softshelled turtle. I caught plenty of both. It stays on the hook well and doesn't smell dead.<br /><br />Bass? My two largest is a 12.5lb, I caught when I was 11. The 9.5 was at 16years. Both were caught on Dalton Specials, a top water lure made not far from home. The key was to cast right on top of bass that just broke water. Cast on top of him, and rip the lure hard a foot or so.......wham!<br /><br />BTW, I still have that poor, tiered, wore out, all the paint gone, Mitchel 300 that must have caught hundreds of fish as a kid.

JJ57103

Seaman

Sunnyone,<br />Cutbait - It's name says it all. Catch a Skipjack, Carp, or even a Drum and cut it up. Depending on the size fish you're after will determine the size of chunks you use. I've cut skipjack in half and used it that way. But then again, I've filletted off a side of a fish, cut it into inch-wide stips a couple inches long and gone that route for the smaller ones. Leave the skin on in the latter method, just remove the scales. It's very dificult for a small fish to take the bait from the hook if the hook is through the tough skin.

michael doty

Cadet

hpphoto.comsep09#03<br /><br /> I use bullheads and bluegill it works good for me

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My family would use range cubes for cattle in a potato sack. Just make sure you add some weights to it or it will scare the crap out of you when it decides to float.

Johnson556

Cadet

Yes plenty of times use an onion sack fill it with dog food or sour corn drop in some eddy water come back later maybe the next day or could try it sooner have caught plenty of catfish this way when they would not bite anyother way.