Any one do any Trout fishing in Oklahoma

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer
I have been trout fishing in Ok for the last year. Mainly in the winter months. Was wondering if it is pretty good fishing in the summer months also. I usually fish the Lower Illinois river, by Gore. Planning a trip, was wondering how they are biting.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Any one do any Trout fishing in Oklahoma

to be honest ive never had a great deal of luck in the summer.or in the winter either for that matter.im still learning how to fly fish,havent tried ultralight rig yet.hey while on the subject.have you tried blue river?they opened it up for trout this year.so far havent heard much news on quality of fish.just to watch out for the over abundant cottonmouth's.

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

No, have only fished lower illinois and lower mt. fork rivers. i do most fishing in the winter. i use a fly rod, my brother uses ultralites. he will usually catch double what i catch, but i just like the fly rod. you can also use the fly rod for bass and perch to get some practice.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

i enjoy using the fly rod on perch and bass.have found tat at times i will catch more bass in the summer on a fly rod than anything else.particularly in clear water coves and such. not supprised since the line is designed to not be detected easily.i have also started tying flies.not great at it but the perch seem to like them well enouph.

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

Same here. have actually caught some trout on my flies. where in OK do you live.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

i live in coweta.about 20mi SE of tulsa.

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

so you are closer to the trout areas. which one do you fish most

phree_1

Cadet

I live eight miles from the lower illinois river. I personally, love trout fishing in Arkansas.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

i normally fish at the lower illinois.not far below the dam.spoke to a guy at work today and he said no wonder i dont do very well.there are few fish there.and all the newbies fish there.thinkin i may move further down stream.any good spots you could recomend.<br />never fishe in ark phree.ive been wanting to go to a place in missouri called roaring river.said to be more of a trickling stream, but good trout from what i hear.been wanting to go down to robbers cave as well.have fished there but not for trout.have heard it is best to use ultralight rig there any info?

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

if you get a chance to go to arkansas, you should go. much better fish there. if you like the feel of a mountain stream, try Spillway creek down at broken Bow on the Lower mountain fork river. this is the best place in OKlahoma to trout fish. <br /><br />If you want the best spot on the lower illinois river, you need to go way downstream from the dam. coming out of Gore, turn right and go past the Mar Val fishing resort. go about 3-4 miles past it. then turn left into the wildlife game reserve and follow the road to the river. look for big sets of power lines. this is the best place.<br /><br /> here is a map <br /><br />It is called the river road access. the map is kind of confusing. but if you stop in at Marval, they can tell you where it is. while at marval show them your trout tag and you can fish there for free.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard of Mar Val.guy at work says that is where he normally goes.said they have good fish there.may try it next time i go.btw would have replied earlier but the crappie and cats are biting good up here this weekend so ive been out on the water alot.doing good on minnows and goldfish.Wikelam do you have any productive fly recipe's that produce well on lower illinois?particularly non traditional.i have a book with all the traditional stuff but i figure same as with the bass the fish seem to be getting smarter and not hitting the old standby's as well as they used to.wanting to try a few new ones.perhaps it will improve my success a bit.maybe not but worth a try.

rockytop93

Seaman

BCO 128<br />roaring river is a good place to fish. Its a nice stream fed by a large spring. you can view the spring where it comes out of the mountain. There is a fish hatchery near the spring and the stream is stocked daily. you can fly fish or use lures. there is also a catch and release area where flies only are allowed. There is a $3.00 daily tag required as well as fishing license and trout permit. non res. permit is $5.00 day trout stamp is $7.00 good all year

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

bco128 try using traditional flies but with odd colors. i use a #12 woolybooger but colored orange, yellow, red, white, or combo of these. Yellow with red tail works great.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rockytop <br />thanks for the info and the pricing.makes me want to go there even more now.but will have to wait a bit.possibly on the next family vacation.<br /> Wikelam<br />i have several buggers. i mainly use black with red or orange tail.also use an all red.have a black and yellow with red tail but havent used yet.thanks for the tips.also like to run an idea by ya.helping a friend move this past week ( oh goodie goodie)i noticed a large bee possibly a wood boorer or a bumble bee which was inside of a natural gas lawn lantern.had no good color left on hairs just blackened, most had burned off or rotted out.on the thorax and tail end there was good irridessance.i retrieved the bee and plan to try immitating it.in you opinion would this be worthwhile for trout or would it likely work best with bass, crappie and such.if it works out i may post a pic to see what you think.

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

have not had much luck with any thing other than the standard trout flies. it should work for bass though, they will eat anything. also try tying or using some egg imitations, i did this after my brother caught 40 fish in one day on the berkely power eggs one day, have had some decent luck with these.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok how would i go about an egg imitation?basicly wrapped dubbing of diff colors on a small hook like maybe a #18 or #20? or is there any special tecnique i should use?certain shapes colors?not real familiar with the apperance of eggs actually.never got my nose that close to the water.is there a websight where i can find a few pics to work against?

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

your fly tying supply store should have egg tying yarn. it should have some instructions on how to do this. Mine had them in with the yarn. will try and find it. then try and explain it here. there are certain egg hooks to use, around #14#12. also you can buy some preformed eggs from cabelas, and just run the hook through them.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

no fly supply store.just an okie bait and an okie bug.both have very little in the way of fly materials.i have to go every so often because they keep very little in stock and what they have on hand changes so often that its a hit and miss deal.other than thread hooks and the like i usually tend to pick up materials form all places such as using harvested rabbit and squirl fur.deer tails.have a friend up in montana who sends scraps of elk.feathers everywhere.cheap and abundant.this makes up the bulk of my supplies.just unable to find much in local shops.

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

D&B outfitters in tulsa have everything you need. i think that it is around 61st and sheridan. will post the address when i find it. this is where i get most of my supplies. cabelas and yagers flys are some other places.