How long do Trout keep in the freezer?

Karl Seibel

Seaman
Have some trout leftover in the freezer from last season...are they still good...or should I feed them to Sylvester?

ebbtide176

Commander
Re: How long do Trout keep in the freezer?

wow, this is gonna be a good topic. or maybe not. i'm of the memories of seeing meat hangin in a smokehouse, so i'm probably too brain damaged to make a decent guess. and of course my wife would argue my extended 'fresh date' anyway... <br /><br />i'd thaw it, sniff it, and go from there ;) :D :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It depends on how they were cleaned and frozen. If packed in water, or glazed, they should be fine. If wrapped in freezer paper, they are probably freezer burned, and will be dry and rubbery. If exposed to air, even inside a sealed bag, all the moisture will be drawn out, forming frost/ice in the bag. The best long term freezing option for fish is to glaze in ice, or to freeze in a container with enough water to cover the fish. Vacume packing is probably second best.<br /><br />If they are not filleted or steaked yet, they might be ok. Also, more oily species will last a bit longer.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Seibel<br />Don't do much trout anymore, mostly ocean fish and Salmon. We keep our up to one year and never had a problem. We clean an remove skin also any dark meat right under skin. Wrap in seran wrap and then frezzer paper. Before we go to ocean next year eat fish every day until gone so wh can start over.

rwise

Captain

do they smell like freeezer burn? if not i would cook em! nothing lasts a year in my fridge, i have hungry hungry teenagers..........<br />Richard

Barely_Legal

Cadet

As a rule, I freeze fish in water which will keep much longer like 6-8 months. If only frozen in freezer bags 2 months is my limit. They seem to take on a stronger flavor and the texture of the meat becomes mealy after that. Your cat will thank you for the fish you don't want to eat yourself though. :)

Karl Seibel

Seaman

Hey, Thanks...I'll invite some buddies over...cook some up...have a few brews...and if someone starts to heave, (from the fish), then i'll know to order some pies.

Jerry M.

Seaman

Best way to freeze fish is in a watertight freezer bag filled with water. The fish will be like fresh when thawed. Remember that 500 year old guy they found frozen in a block of ice on the glacier in Switzerland? His flesh was like he just died.<br /><br />Jerry

Fishbusters

Ensign

No one should heave unless they have been thawed and then refrozen but personally I like my trout to have been quivering as I cleaned it then cooked fresh less than 10min later. I do not freeze trout because I don't like the texture or flaver after it has been frozen even for a day. Most of the time if I want fish I go catch something fresh but I will freeze some catfish fillets this time of year because I find this is the best time for catching good eating sized and tasting cats. Usually by fall everything is gone but I have had fish that was frozen for a year and it tasted okay (not like fresh) but the texture was a little off.