Homemade marker buoy

Big Al1

Seaman
I was looking to buy a marker buoy for trolling, mostly for crappie. Anyone outa there use marker buoys when trolling. I've never used one but it seems that lots of times there will be a spot where I'll get many hits: either 2 rods go down or I'll troll back over the spot and catch another fish. I've looked in catalogs and haven't seen any under $40. A lot of times the water depth is fiarly consistent so I could get by with a milk jug with 10 to 15 feet of line and some kind of weight. The $40 ones let the weight drop until it feels bottom and stops letting line out. It seems like you could make the same thing. Anybody have any ideas?

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: Homemade marker buoy

Big AL1<br />The marker bouy's that I use are just Styrofoam<br />with line wrapped around them with a lead weight<br />attached. The line unravels of the bouy until <br />the weight hits bottom 10 ft or 50ft or what <br />ever depth. I use pink Styrofoam insulation glued<br />together. rectangular shape seems to work fine<br />for me.

ebbtide176

Commander

you can get them online or in person at a BassPro Shop. walmart or kmart might carry them also. look like plastic dumbells, with nylon cord & lead weight... $6 at BPS, probably cheaper at the other places

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Big All<br />I have used marker buoys in the past but not any more. Just mark it on your GPS. Marker Buoys tell everyone on the lake you caught fish there.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'm usually too busy reeling to think about the buoy or gps. Usually thro them out after, and then make repeated approaches from same direction. I use them mostly on those slow days, when you are working to find them.<br /><br />The dumbells by Lindy are nice, and big. If you don't want to spend the dollars, just use a one ounce sinker, some heavy braided line, and tie on a bobber.

shooter26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You could try a dish soap bottle with decoy cord tied around it and a decoy weight, wrap it around and when you find a good spot toss it out the weight will unwind the cord until it hits bottom.

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I personally do not like the H shaped markers. Get the round markers. The H shape doesn't always unravel line well. <br />Get the round ones. Another trick is to paint the marker with spots of black paint so you can tell if they are spinning when you throw them in<br />D

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class

I get the fisherman floats. Melt the middle and its perfect. That way it looks like a spool. Strofoam float is cheap. a buck. get line then for the weight. I get pvc and fill it with sand and then cap it and have a loop throught bol to tie the line to. I use it for offshore buoy makers in salt water. The pvc pipe doesn't scratch up the fiberglass interior. hope this helps.