Sounders / fish finders - worth the money ?

Hello everyone,<br /><br />Am just starting to get into this fishing buso - and am quite enjoying catching a few as well....<br />1 of my local guides has told me that a fish finder is essential these days to locate and catch strucute / fish - I have never used one, needed one. However, they are starting to appeal since he regulary catches more than I...<br />What doe severyone think ? are they really worth the money ? Also, what would everyone suggest as a good starting sounder ? Some seem to be mor eexpensive than my boat and car - do I really need all of these "" features ? or is a basic sounder better than the one that I currently dont own ? Any advice and assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks Si,

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sounders / fish finders - worth the money ?

G'Day, Si.<br /><br />Once you learn how to use them, which is really quite easy, they are worth their weight in diamonds.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

NOSLEEP

Commander

Fishing with out sonar is like<br />fishing with with a bag on your<br />head.

I mainly fish in dams and esturies, occasionally out at sea, Depth is rarely more than 30 meters so what are the best features to look for in a sounder ? I mean from what I've researched all sounders will work up to 75 metres, so the added features like colour, 3d etc etc are these really warranted ? And PS - My wife quite often puts a bag over my head - so stop teasing !!<br />Cheers Si.<br />PS - Are Hummingbird and Pirahna the same company ? The pirahna's seem to be a quite bit cheaper then the Hummingbird with similar features ?<br />Thanks again for any advice.

FLATHEAD

Commander

Squid<br /> I have had good luck with the Eagle brand. They are made by lowrance one of the best out there. Its a good idea to get one with the temp. senser feature. I have a humminbird platinum ID that has failed me and now sits on the shelf in the garage. There is no doupt you will increase your catch with the fish finder.

crab bait

Captain

fish finders/depth finder, are a tool.. thats it,,a tool.. they show the bottom an can show structsure & depth.. would you find that appealing..?? an some also show water surface temp & speed & shallow water alarm<br /><br />but in shallow waters,, it's givin' you the area of a dinner plate if that..... helpful..??<br /><br />they also show fish ... little fishy symbols.. which imho,, are useless false alarms.. <br /><br />some say there not an swear by them... <br /><br />the better models have not fishy symbol but show arches & half arches & lines.. <br /><br />anythings in a 'arch shape' are supposed to be fish.. <br /><br />people swear that this is better... <br /><br />i have one that only shows 'arch patterns' an in three years,, i only seen 3 arches.. <br />but people swear by them... <br /><br />just like anythin' ,, spend what you can afford... just stay away from hummingbird

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The "fish ID" symbols can be turned off.<br /><br />Like I said, "Learning to use it". Maybe I should have said "correctly". :)

FLATHEAD

Commander

Crab- where you fishing , the dead sea.

bubbaboater

Seaman

Stay away from Hummingbird. I like the Ealges the best. Good Value for the money. I Used an Eagle on my last boat and loved it. I have a Hummingbird on my boat now and hate it. I am buying a NEW Eagle in the next month and putting on the boat.

FLATHEAD

Commander

Bubba, I am with you on that. I just picked up the new eagle tri finder. Cant wait to use it. It has been to cold lately to install it. If you can post some more info on Black lake that would be great.I am going up this spring. I have no idea where to stay,where to fish,etc etc. I have heard the places to stay book up early so I want to get with the program as soon as possible.

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Humminbird 200DX, that is not only easier to use, and has a screen which is VERY good, especially in bright sunlight.<br /><br />AND unlike the previous posts, my experience is that it runs circles around two of my buddies mega-buck Lowrance Eagles".<br /><br />Both of them got the Eagles with their new bass boats, but my Humminbird is so much superior to thier units, that they've both fitted a 200DX to thier boats as well. Wehn we use thier boats, the Eagle never even gets turned on anymore.<br /><br />Bottom line? See if you can't get some demo's from some of the locals, then buy the one which seems to best fit your circumstances... AND it does NOT have to be the high-dollar unit, to fit the needs.<br /><br />Good Luck...

Skinnywater

Commander

When the Salmon are running upriver to spawn, my Pinpoint shows me lots of bigfish. It shows smaller fish as well.<br />When the river is in between runs and devoid of Salmon my Pinpoint shows me the smaller fish, with the enormous amounts of big fish absent.<br />Some times it'll show a REALLY big fish and I'll always trust it to be a Sturgeon.<br /><br />Over time and experience you'll be able to give names to the fish you see.

Thanks everyone for your replies and insight - can you really nominate fish off a sounder to correct species ? or is this getting into a really expensive league of sounders ? - The ones I have seen have three sizes of fish / pictures but when these symobols are turned off they just look like small arcs...which could be anything floating in the water ? Then again could be a whopper !! - I guess knowledge is power in this fishing world, so I best count out the money box and start shopping....Thanks again everyone.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Si the Squid<br />For the water deepths you are talking about you will want a 200khz unit with a 20 degree transducer. I like the Lowrance X91 or X97. To get started check out this tutorial for sonar and follow the next links to the end. It is pretty good for basic understanding.<br />If you are only going to buy one unit then you may want to consider a unit that also has a GPS as it is cheaper than two units. I prefer two seperate units but cost is more.<br /> http://www.lowrance.com/Tutorials/sonar/sonar_tutorial_01.asp

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would check out the new Eagle 320. It's priced at $199.99. It's seems as if it is a pretty good deal with a very high resolution. It's brand new this year. I believe it has the same features as the X-91, but with lower power. <br />I'm thinking about taking a look at one once some stores start to carry them.<br />D

crab bait

Captain

GEE, SKINNY... when those salmon run in those rivers,,, they're so thick,, you could detect them with a 'stud-finder'..!!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Dman<br />Eagle Fish Mark 320 actually has a higher resolution 320x320 than the X91 240x240. The X97 also has 320x320 and has replaced the X91. For Shallow Saltwater 50 meters 162 feet may be enough power. For 350 feet I dout you will see bottom fish. Looks like a good deal.<br />Have not seen unit yet but from what I have read so far do not think it has Shallow or deep water alarms or any alarms at all. Also see no mention of ASP advanced signal Processing. I not sure you can set up windows for voltage or a water speed sensor. Still for a basic high resolution low power shallow water unit looks Like a great price. Does have Gray line.

Skinnywater

Commander

Yeah, I don't use it to detect fish. When 5-6 are jumping at the same time you know they are there.<br /><br />I use it mainly to locate submerged trees. It cuts down on the senseless loss of a freshly sardine wrapped Kwikfish.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a humminbird 200DX portable. I needed something rather inexpensive and portable so I move it from boat to boat. <br /><br />I use it to find structure and depth. It has helped me find suspended fish. I have not used any other and could fish without it, but it definitely helps me. I also can leave it on the boat on the small lake I am fishing on without worrying that I would be out much money if someone walked off with it.

ChugBug

Cadet

I have two EAGLE fish finders.<br />Like the VISA commercial says:<br />" I Don't leave home with out them" :D