Shimano Baitrunner... Any Good?

Sea Mitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A friend of mine told me it's the only reel to get (a baitrunner). He snags the bunker, hooks it on and lets attract the blues and stripers naturally with this reel. I've never heard of this kind of reel, does anyone use it (a baitrunner) or have anything to say about 'em? Do they work well or is it just another gimmick.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shimano Baitrunner... Any Good?

They work OK. Penn just came out with one, and Shakespere sells one to Bass Pro Shops.<br /><br />It helps if you don't want to hold onto the rod, when you have a live bait on it.

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bait runners are OK, I have an Okuma. Nice reel/good value. The bait runner feature attempts to give spinning reels the free spooling capability of a baitcaster. If it's your only reel and you want the capabilities of a spinner and a baitcaster, its a nice option. I prefer baitcasters; however, they give you much better control. Abu-Garcia are my favorites.

paintermn

Seaman

I love these reels. I have two , the smallest and the largest that Shimano makes. I keep 30 lb. test on the big one ( about 200 yards), and use with live bait over reefs and wrecks ect.<br /><br />I like them because I can leave them unattended in a rod holder while I hold another rod, and just listen for the clicks when a fish takes the bait.