Hummingbird Wide vs. Eagle Classic

I am planning on trips in the deep rivers and offshore. The boat I'm getting has a Hummingbird Wide (Wide One Deep). I have an Eagle Ultra Classic w/192 khz transducer. Question: the Eagle has 600 watts(peak to peak) and 75 watts RMS. The Humm Wide has 400 watts (RMS) and 3200 watts (p-p) with an operating freq. of 200 khs. Mine has the bells and whistles. Which one is better for me. Thanx, JR<br /><br />------------------

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hummingbird Wide vs. Eagle Classic

Ahoy, Deepdiver. I had a similar question last winter, except it was Hummer LCR 4000 vs. Eagle FishEasy. I put 'em both on and compared their performance and features. The Eagle won easily. The Eagle fell behind only on the size of the display, but the sharpness of the display still made it easier to read.<br /><br />Now, that old LCR 4000 is not the unit that the Wide One is, but the Ultra Classic has a lot more features than the li'l FishEasy. If you have to decide without comparing, go with the Eagle. <br /><br />If you were going with the Eagle, you would have to mount it anyway. Why not leave the Hummer on there, compare them in battle, then take the Hummer off?<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . . <br />JB
smile.gif

Thanx JB. I am ripping the outdrive off the boat now. What a pain. I'm having a new transom done but I guess I could install 'em both an check em out. The classic does have alot more but the Wide One seems to have so much more power output. Thanx for the input. JR<br /><br />------------------

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

JR. Does it really matter what is below 600' except, perhaps, navigation help?<br /><br />Red sky at night.. . . .<br />JB
smile.gif

BigFishKen

Seaman Apprentice

Howdy, I've had an Eagle Ultra before....My friend had a similar performing Hummingbird. We had a great time running over stuff to see which worked better. Have fun....(My Eagle had much better definition and picked up stuff his Hummer never saw)....Ken

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Deepdiver,<br /><br />I have an old Eagle ultra on the bow troller and a new Humminbird 200(not as sophisticated as the Wide or 4000)on the transom. The Eagle always sees many more fish than the Hummer. The Eagle also seems to define structure better. JB is right - run em both before taking the Hummer off!<br /><br />Semper Gumby<br />tcube