What baits good for Northern Pike??

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: What baits good for Northern Pike??

cprince, what's a skitter pop? never heard the term or seen the bait? Something I could find at LeBaron?

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Guess I should've google'd first. Found them on Rapala's website.

I never had success (at White Lake) where I primarily fish using top water bait but now I'm thinking I'll be taking your coordinates and the boat and heading off the Ottawa for a little Pike fishing.

Thanks for the coordinates cprince.

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guess I should've google'd first. Found them on Rapala's website.

I never had success (at White Lake) where I primarily fish using top water bait but now I'm thinking I'll be taking your coordinates and the boat and heading off the Ottawa for a little Pike fishing.

Thanks for the coordinates cprince.

No problem NelsonQ!

I always pitch the toppy as close to the edge of a weed bed and give it a couple of sharp POPS as soon as it lands to **** off the pike. They often hit it right away. If not; then let it sit for about a slow five count. Then I do the 3 counts; tug sharp 3 times (to make it walk the dog left right left) then let it sit for a 3 count, all the way back to the boat.

I work the hell out of top water baits just because they are SOooo exciting when they hit!

The ones that have a bead in them with a buck tail on the back are also AMAZING for bass.

See my post in this thread for big moma I caught not far from those coordinates I gave you; http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=246443&page=4

Got her on a small skitter pop.

In Meech Lake in the Gatineau park, my buddy and I have Bass competitions; at last Bass opening I pulled in 55 pounds to his 32. My poundage was all on the same top water bait... his was Carolina rigged black and yellow tailed lizard. This is total weight caught from 5:30am to our regular cut off time of 11am. Big bass of the day was my buddies at 4 pounds 10 Oz. Average was about 3 pounds. The lake does not have an official ramp, so we carry in a small 12 foot aluminum with a 47lb thrust electric with two batteries. Bass heaven. I will be dreaming about that place all winter long!

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in Arizona, Ashurtz lake has the state record,and we can catch small ones with any spinner,but the big ones are caught with frozen anchovies with a leader and a small split shot.Good fishing all.

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you have enough patients and the right conditions, i will use a banjo minnow all day. BANJO MINNOWS RULE!

D

DJ

Red/White Daredevils for me too.

Frozen smelt (or Anchovies) can also be effective. It depends on how you will be fishing. Still or trolling.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

here in minnesota and up in canada i have found that small noisy children work well either trolled or casted near or over weed beds. sometimes they scream pretty loud when you put the hook through them but when they get trashing around out there in the water they will bring the fish out. sometimes it is hard to explain to their mothers why the have teeth marks all over them but they never send them with you again and the boat is a lot quieter and you can actually conentrate on fishing. so it's a win win. you catch some northerns and next time you get to go alone in the boat.