Trolling Motors - How slow is slow in MPH?

Miss Sam

Recruit
Hi! I am looking to purchase a trolling motor for a 10ft fiberglass hulled dingy (Dover Dory w/gooseneck for mast). I plan to use the motor for freshwater lake boating only and need some more information on trolling motors.....i.e., mph speed(s) of a 30lb or 40lb thrust motor, how many hours does the battery last, type of battery required, does a transom pad really help, etc.
confused.gif
<br /><br />I was thinking of getting a motor somewhere in the 30 to 40 lbs thrust range just for putt-putt cruising/light trolling with my husband and 2 year old, but would like to know what the mph is (3mph 5mph 10mph ??mph) before buying.<br /><br />Anyone with advice, info or comments is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trolling Motors - How slow is slow in MPH?

Howdy, Sam Ma'am. Sorry; couldn't resist. A good 30-40lb thrust motor should push your li'l' dingy 4 to 5 mph depending on load, hull efficiency, etc.,etc.<br /><br />Battery life is, of course, mainly dependent on what battery you use. They are sort of like a fuel tank: a 100 amp-hour battery should last about twice as long a 50 amp-hour and so forth. Any battery you use should be a deep cycle marine type and your charger should be designed for deep cycle batteries.<br /><br />What motor you select will make a large difference in cruising range, too. A bargain-basement motor is rheostat speed controlled or multi-position switch controlled. Running at, say, half of full speed it will use up a battery in about half the time taken by an electronically controlled (pulse modulated) motor. Be sure to get a major brand, electronic control motor, such as Minn-Kota or Motor-Guide.<br /><br />A premium quality motor on a fully charged, 100 amp-hour, deep cycle battery should easily provide full power for 3 to 5 hours at 35 lb of thrust.<br /><br />Happy boating.<br />JB
smile.gif

cabowaboranger

Seaman Apprentice

44 lb full charge on my battery at full speed last for 2 hrs ,4hrs at low speed i got minn mota from walmart for 200 bucks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Ranger. Missed you these past few days. Like I said: Big batteries and big fuel tanks last longer, Pulse modulated motors use less power to go the same speed.<br /><br />Three, 4 and 5 speed motors are not pulse modulated, though they are excellent values and give you great bang for the buck. Pulse modulated motors are usually continuously variable and much higher priced, even in the lower thrust ranges.<br /><br />You don't say what battery you are using, but it seems that you are getting very good results for your money.<br /><br />Red sky at night, Sailor's delight!<br />JB
smile.gif