help -looking for new quality flyrod

tstar

Recruit
I'm looking to retire my old rod and go for a nice flyrod. I've seen several ads in fishing magazines that look good but I want to know what holds up long term. I tend to believe people more than ads so let me know what you think.<br /><br />Thanks in advance. <br /><br />t*star

lakie

Recruit
Re: help -looking for new quality flyrod

Originally posted by tstar:<br />I'm looking to retire my old rod and go for a nice flyrod. I've seen several ads in fishing magazines that look good but I want to know what holds up long term. I tend to believe people more than ads so let me know what you think.<br /><br />Definitely go to a fishing shop if you aren't sure. After looking at the local department stores or whatever you call them..I don't recommend you go there. It may work okay but if you want real casting distance or a quality pole and line...<br /><br /> - lakie<br /><br />t*star<br />

Jason B Hart

Recruit

I have used a St. Croix for years and I am really happy with it. They have Rods at all price ranges and the warranty is pretty good. Look into them, I am pretty happy!

SEAFARER22

Cadet

St Croix has a variety of selections at a very reasonable price. They also have an unconditional lifetime warranty. Check their website at www.stcroixrods.com

OLDTOOT

Recruit

I use a 9' Eagle Claw salt water fly rod that<br />I think is great. It is a great rod for long distance casting. It is very flexible and it is hard to tell where the rod ends and the line begins. I use a weight forward floating line with popping bugs most of the time. I live in fishing heaven near Sam Rayburn lake in Tx.. There is great river fishing in the area also. Try the rod, you will like it.<br /><br />Good fishin, OLDTOOT

dogfish

Cadet

Many of the newer graphite rods will be largely the same. Look for the type of fly rod you like to cast (fast, medium, slow). I fish mostly Sage #5-#10 fast action rods for everything for trout to stripers. I like to be able to toss heavy flies in wind, so a stiffer rod is best for me. Sometimes the #10 feels a bit like a broomstick though. Orvis, Loomis, Sage and many others very similar. St Croix pretty good for a lower priced rod. I'd stay away from used old graphite, lots of old crap too soft for me. One very important point: THEY ALL BREAK. I've broken and returned about half the rods I fish regularly (most of my Sage rods, even a couple I bought used) and had free partial replacement or shipping only to pay for a fix. Graphite gets nicked and breaks pretty easy. Broke 2 rods landing stripers and one setting the hook with to much slack/bend in it (dumb move). Tapped a branch on a cast to break another. Slipped on rocks to bust another. You get the idea. I fish a quite a bit. Not as sloppy as I sound. Go for a good manuafacturer that stands by their product (even if you buy used). Most of the expensive ones are pretty good about helping out with a free or inexpensive repair. I haven't bought a rod from Cabela's in years, but, you might give them a look. http://www.cabelas.com/

T-290

Seaman

T-Star, lots of good advice there. Major brand names fetch hefty price tags however the old saying will apply here " You Get What You Pay For" A $30.00 rod does not compare to a $500.00+ rod trust me I can speak from experience. Unfortunatly there are many different speeds of rods on the market that make a total difference in the action of the rod. You need to find the style that suits you. Cosider your style and prey. Speed or classic Bamboo slow action?Go to a Fly shop and cast all the rods before you make a purchase! Take a long look at the Cabelas 5-piece Stowaway for $89.00 Med- Fast action loads nicely and acts like it wants to grow up to be a 400.00 rod comes with padded Cordura case not bad at all for the price! Good Luck & Tight Lines