Shimano Crestfire :(

i386

Captain
The Shimano Crestfire I bought on eBay arrived today and I'm a little dissapointed. Here's why...<br /><br />I needed a reel for pitching. My Ambassadeur 5550C is a nice real but I was not able to get very much distance with my pitching technique, particularly with light baits like a Zoom Fluke rigged weightless. Now I'm not trying to throw it a mile, but I think 20 or 30 feet is reasonable. I can do this with my Zebco.So I thought I'd get a smaller baitcasting reel for this purpose. Not wanting to spend a fortune I bought the Crestfire for 30 bux. <br /><br />I mounted the reel on a 6" rod and gave it a try in the driveway. With the magnetic anti-backlash control set to zero and the clutch on the right side backed all the way out I'm getting nowhere close to freespool. This reel won't do any better than the 5500C for this purpose. For regular overhand and side arm casting I think I'll like it just fine.<br /><br />My question is this. Do I need to get an expensive Curado to get the freespool I desire or would a spinning reel (not my favorite) get me there for much less money?

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Shimano Crestfire :(

i386- try bouncing your rod lenth up to 7'6" - 8' this will increase the pendulum and help pull added distance like ya want.<br /><br />-what line are you using? and pound test?<br /><br />-are all the adjustments set as low as possible? <br /><br />-back lash BS switched off?<br /><br />-thumb feathering the spool too tightly?<br /><br />not familiar with the reel so I can't say too much about it.. other than - Abu 4600C3's cost about $50 or so and are bullet proof.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

If you decide to replace that crestfire and want to get your $30 back, shoot me an email; I believe I can make use of it.<br /><br />thanks,<br />jtw<br />john20000@sbcglobal.net

i386

Captain

Barlow, It's got 12# on it now, but it was the same with lighter spiderwire fusion. All the adjustments are backed off all the way. Still it doesn't spin freely. You couldn't backlash this thing if you tried. <br /><br />I like my 5500C, do you think the 4600C3 would be a good choice for pitchin'. I need something with a good freespool for pitchin' light baits. You know, the kind of reel that will give you a bird's nest if you don't know what you're doing. :) The crestfire just ain't it, though for my everyday casting needs I consider it a good step up from my Zebco 33.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

well.. since the the application you're using is basically weightless spinning gear would probably work best.<br /><br />As far as your reel goes .. I'm stumped .. no clue as to what the problem might be or if its designed to free spool effortlessly. Sorry maybe others here have an answer to that.<br /><br />I had the convienence of fishing with a good amount of different low profile baitcasters and was happiest with Quantum's (Zebco Co.) Energy PT's - so thats what I bought for low profile reels.<br /><br />Never cared for Shimano stuff myself so I don't have any experience dealing with it. <br /><br />as far as birds nests go - I get plenty.. I'm a master at it! :D <br /><br />one thing to rule of thumb with reels .. the more bearings they have usually reflects in price and performance. The more junk you have on 'em the more you'll be foolin' with it.<br /><br />go out and test a few reels before ya jump into buying the next. . . just my 2 cents worth.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I have a Crestfire, works well when I use it.<br />Problem could be it is gummed up inside from heavy grease or spray lube. Dirt will cling to the lube and slow it down.<br /><br />Also, most baitcasting rods are about as stiff as a 2x4 and make casting weightless, even more difficult.<br /><br />You will much better luck with a small spinning reel (like a Shimao 1000 series) and a limber rod.

i386

Captain

Do you have the new gold one or the older one? I have the older one, it's greenish I think. It's brand new so it should only have the lube the factory put in it. I used it today fishing. It works ok with heavier baits like spinnerbaits. With a Texas rigged worm I really have to sling it to get any distance out of it. Could you tell me which screws to remove to check if it's got too much grease in it?

FLATHEAD

Commander

Even with a curado throwing a small weightless bait is tuff. The 12 pound test aint helping much either. Keep a spinning reel on board for those times when you need to pitch a weightless bait in and about surface structure. <br /><br />I have a shimano corsair on my musky rig that I found had the screws that hold the body together were so tight that the reel would not freespool, I let up on em some and it worked perfectly.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

i386, from your description it sounds like your reel is behaving normally for any baitcaster - "freespool" isn't really spinning freely, else you'd get major backlash on every cast. I agree with Barlow - a spinning reel will do what you're trying to accomplish.<br /><br />BTW here's a good article on pitching: Pitching and Catching

KCLOST

Commander

Try a Pinnacle...Very nice free spool for an affordable price...$59... That's all I use, have 5 of them... That spool will free spin forever...

NOSLEEP

Commander

You cant expect a baitcaster to send a light <br />weight lure out any distance at all with 12# line.<br />For sure 4# or 6# line will help. <br />The spincaster will give you more distance with a<br />light presentation.